Yum Yum sauce recipe is a quick and easy to make. This dipping sauce tastes better than your favorite Japanese steakhouse sauce. You are going to love this savory, tangy and sweet sauce on steak, seafood or hibachi fried rice.
What is Yum Yum Sauce
Yum Yum sauce is a Japanese steak house mayo-based dipping sauce. Nowadays it is very popular around the world and people use it on everything from steaks to salads. It is tangy, sweet and pale pink in color. This sauce can be thick or thin, depending on what you will be using it for. It is an extremely versatile sauce and goes well on fish, shrimp, chicken dishes like Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken and vegetables.
what is yum yum sauce made of
Yum yum sauce is made of mayonnaise (the key ingredient here), ketchup, garlic, paprika, rice vinegar, sugar and water). Nothing fancy! You can experiment with ratios to get the right consistency and the flavor. I like to add cayenne pepper as well. You can leave it out and substitute ketchup with tomato paste if you wish.
How to make Yum Yum sauce
You will need simple ingredients to make this delicious dipping sauce.
- Mayonnaise: It is the main ingredient that adds the creaminess to the sauce.
- Granulated sugar: Feel free to adjust the amount to your liking.
- Ketchup: I prefer to use ketchup, but tomato paste will work as well.
- Paprika: Use sweet not smoky paprika.
- Rice vinegar: It is another key ingredient that adds that pungent taste. It is similar to apple cider vinegar. So if you don’t have rice vinegar on hand, use it.
- Cayenne pepper: It is an optional ingredient, feel free to leave it out.
- Garlic powder: It helps to enhance the flavor.
- Water: You will need 3-4 tablespoons to thin the sauce to the desired consistency. I recommend to start with 1 tablespoon and add more if needed.
To make it, whisk together all the ingredients in a jar or bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 30-40 minutes before serving.
How to make yum yum sauce without mayo
You can use Greek yogurt which is tangy and creamy like mayo. It is a great option to save calories and add a gram of protein. For vegan yum yum sauce, use vegan mayo or vegan yogurt.
How to use yum yum sauce
Yum yum sauce is sweet and savory, pairs really well with almost everything.
- Fried rice: Drizzle over fried rice, it is absolutely delicious. Try it with Hibachi fried rice, Tofu Fried Rice, Chicken Fried Rice or Shrimp Fried Rice.
- Shrimp: It is great as a dipping sauce for shrimp tempura or shrimp cakes. Actually it will be fantastic on any seafood.
- Salads: Try to use it as a dressing for potato salad. It is so good.
- Veggies: It is also so amazing for veggies like roasted cauliflower, steamed broccoli or oven roasted potatoes.
- Potstickers: It is very scrumptious with chicken potstickers. Drizzle them to brighten everything up or use as a dipping sauce.
How to store the sauce
You need to refrigerate the sauce for 30-40 minutes before serving. Keep the leftovers in an airtight jar or container in the refrigerator. It will last for 4-5 days.
Need More Asian-inspired recipes? Try these!!
Yum Yum Sauce Video
If you enjoy this video, please subscribe to my YouTube channel (thank you for subscribing). Want to be the first to know when I post a new video? Make sure to click the BELL icon.Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!