A skillet Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken is juicy, tender inside and crispy on the outside. Olive oil, lemon, garlic, rosemary and onion create such incredible flavors and skillet juices.
Just like Garlic Herb Butter Roasted chicken, Mediterranean Garlic Rosemary Chicken, I usually serve this Italy-inspired Lemon and Garlic Roast Chicken with pan juices over Mashed potatoes.
Lemon Garlic Whole Chicken Recipe
There's nothing better than a delicious, juicy whole roast chicken served at dinner. If you are looking for a simple, no-fail roast chicken recipe, you’ve found it. The recipe calls for simple ingredients , nothing fancy.Even if you are new to cooking, you will succeed.
how to Roast A Chicken
Making a whole roasted chicken seems to be very challenging, as we want the outside to be nicely browned, but the inside to remain juicy and not overcooked. The best way to achieve it is to use High-Low heat roasting method.
Preheat oven to 450°F/232°C.
Season chicken with salt and pepper, stuff, pour and rub marinade over it.
Blast chicken in a hot oven to get an appealing browned crust for about 20-30 minutes.
Reduce the temperature to 350°F/77°C and roast at low heat until cooked through, basting from time to time.
Rest– Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
how long to roast chicken
The recipe calls for High to Low heat roasting method. A dual heat method will make chicken crunchy and browned on the outside and super juicy inside. I started roasting chicken at 450°F/232°C. This initial blast of high heat will brown the surface of chicken.
This roasting method will be very beneficial for larger chicken, 4-5 pound bird because high heat will burn the outside before it is even cooked through. Yes, the chicken will be nicely browned but has risk drying out if cooked at high heat.
The initial high heat step takes about 20-30 minutes. Then I reduced the heat to 350°F/77°C and cooked until chicken is done. With slow roasting, there is less moisture loss and the chicken is cooked more evenly.
Important! The amount of moisture released from chicken during roasting relates directly to how aggressively it is heated.
Slow cooking takes approximately 30-40 minutes.
Total cooking time-1 hour – 1 hour & 15 minutes, depends on the size of bird.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH LEMON GARLIC ROAST CHICKEN?
I always serve this Garlic Herb Butter roasted chicken with Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Mashed potatoes, Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes, or Spinach Mashed Potatoes.
Other serving suggestions.
|Cauliflower Fried Rice|
If you want to try something else, I highly recommend Middle Eastern side dishes:
Red Pepper Hummus, Roasted Garlic Hummus, Avocado Hummus, and Middle Eastern Hummus.
If you like/tried this Lemon Garlic Chicken be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating!
LEMON GARLIC ROAST CHICKENPrint
LEMON GARLIC ROAST CHICKEN
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Yield: 4-6
A skillet Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken is juicy, tender inside and crispy on the outside.
- Whole chicken (giblets & neck removed)-1 .5 kg /3.3 pound
- Garlic cloves ( cut into slivers)- 6
- Olive oil- ½ cup
- Chicken broth/stock-½ cup
- Italian seasoning- 1 tsp.
- Lemon (halved)-1
- Dried rosemary - 1 tsp.
- Salt for seasoning chicken
- Ground black pepper- ½ tsp. or to taste
- Red onion ( quartered)-1
- Head of garlic ( roughly peeled & cut horizontally through the middle crosswise)-1
- Preheat your oven to 450°F/232°C.
- Remove giblets from inside of the cavity, trim any excess fat or leftover feathers and pat chicken dry all over with paper towel.
- Pierce chicken ( cut small slits) with a small sharp knife, about 12 slits, then push garlic slivers into the chicken, making sure they went inside of the chicken completely.
- In a medium bowl combine olive oil, chicken stock, Italian seasoning and juice of half of the lemon. Keep aside.
- Place chicken breast side up into the roasting pan/ skillet and season generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle dried rosemary over the chicken.
- Stuff the chicken's cavity with the garlic head and the lemon halve. Truss the chicken (tie legs together with kitchen string).
- Pour the olive oil-lemon mixture over the chicken, arrange the onion quarters around it and season them with salt.
- Roast until chicken develops golden brown color, then reduce the temperature to 350°F/77°C. Roast and bast from time to time until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165˚F and juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a knife.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes,for juices to redistribute evenly.
- Serve with pan juices.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Category: Chicken recipes
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: roast chicken, lemon chicken, chicken recipes
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES
Leave a Reply