Learn how to make the best shrimp tempura with an irresistible crunch in every bite! Serve it with homemade yum yum sauce! A crispy, fried appetizer that is so easy and delicious.
If you enjoy the shrimp tempura, you may also like to try shrimp tempura roll. It is another hit!
Shrimp tempura recipe
Shrimp tempura is always a crowd pleaser. Both adults and kids love it. There is something exotic about shrimp dipped in tempura batter and rolled in panko breadcrumbs, then fried. But, the best part, this recipe takes about 30 minutes to prepare.
Enjoy them with the best dipping sauce for shrimp tempura-Japanese steakhouse yum yum sauce. It is easy and ready in minutes.
What is shrimp tempura
Shrimp tempura is a Japanese dish made with shrimp dipped in a tempura batter and deep-fried until crispy crust. It is commonly served with a flavourful dipping soy or yum yum sauce.
How to make shrimp tempura
For this shrimp tempura recipe, you will need:
- Large shrimp: Use any type of large or jumbo shrimp or prawn. They are fattier and meatier.
- Tempura batter mix: You can buy it in the Asian section of your local grocery store or online. Alternatively you can make your own tempura batter from scratch.
- Panko breadcrumbs: Use regular or seasoned panko bread crumbs.
- Ice-water: It is very important to use ice water to get crispy tempura. Don’t over mix the batter.
- Vegetable oil for frying
It is a breeze to make this recipe with all of your ingredients ready!
- Stretch the shrimp by making a couple of slits in its belly. This method will prevent your shrimp from curling during deep-frying.
- Heat enough oil for deep-frying in a skillet or pan.
- Combine the batter mix with ice-cold water. Season with white pepper and salt to your liking.
- Place panko bread crumbs in a shallow dish.
- Dip the shrimp in the tempura batter and coat with panko crumbs.
- Fry in hot oil over medium high heat until golden.
How long to fry shrimp
You will need to heat the oil to 350-375F (175-190C) over medium high heat. Once the temperature is correct, add in the battered shrimp and cook for about 2-3 minutes. The cooking time will depend on the size of the shrimp.
Tips to make the best tempura
- Keep all the ingredients ready and cold ( batter mix and water)
- Don’t over-mix the batter. It is fine to have a few lumps.
- Preheat oil to the correct temperature.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan. Cook the shrimp in batches. If you put more than 5-6 shrimp, the temperature of oil will drop immediately.
How to make yum yum sauce
Yum Yum sauce is a quick and easy to make sauce that tastes better than the sauce from famous Japanese hibachi restaurants! It goes really well with tempura.
To make it, simply combine mayonnaise, ketchup, paprika, sugar, rice vinegar, garlic powder and water.
How to serve shrimp tempura
- Dipping sauce: Personally, I love to serve it with a dipping sauce. The soy sauce or yum yum sauce work the best.
- Shrimp tempura roll: You can make sushi and feed a crowd. It is the key ingredient in shrimp tempura roll. The recipe is customizable, get creative with fillings.
- Serve with veggies: You can serve it with roasted cauliflower or as a side of fried rice or add to lo mein.
Shrimp Tempura Video
If you enjoy this shrimp tempura video, please subscribe to my YouTube channel (thank you for subscribing). Want to be the first to know when I post a new video? Make sure to click the BELL icon.
How to reheat shrimp tempura
It is the best when eaten on the same day. However, you can store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat it, microwave for 30-40 seconds. You can also reheat it in the preheated oven to 340 F (170 C) for 6-8 minutes. This methods prevents the tempura from becoming soggy.
More delicious Asian recipes
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!