This Restaurant-style Shrimp Fried Rice is The BEST! Juicy, tender shrimp stir fried with eggs, garlic, onion, veggies and rice. It is very easy to make this irresistibly delicious 20-minutes fried rice and you won’t get enough of it!
If you love this, try my Tofu Fried Rice, Instant Pot Chicken Fried rice or Cauliflower Fried Rice.
BEST SHRIMP FRIED RICE
I absolutely love fried rice and especially Shrimp fried rice! But it is so disappointing to order take-out, pay 10—15$ and find bland, tasteless, boring rice with only 4-5 shrimp in the entire dish. I have been travelling a lot in the last 10 year, tried fried rice and other Asian dishes in the best Asian restaurants around the world. I should say, this is one of the reasons why I set the bar very high for what fried rice has to be. It should be packed with big flavors, stir-fried to perfection and be amazingly Delicious! Sounds good? After testing dozens of recipes, I finally landed on the recipe that worked for me and became my favorite one. And believe me this fried rice is much better that any take-out I’ve ordered from our local Chinese restaurants.
Reasons to Love this Shrimp Fried Rice recipe:
- Easy to make.
- Very quick.
- Packed with big flavors.
- Perfectly stir-fried.
- You can customize it with your favorite add-ins.
Crazy about fried rice? Try it!
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST FRIED RICE
- Use fresh Instant Pot rice or cold rice: I usually use fresh Instant Pot cooked rice. I found it to be much better than leftover stovetop rice. The secret is that it absorbs the exact amount of water it needs in Instant Pot. And when you fry it, it never gets soggy or sticky. And the Best of all it takes only 4 minutes to cook it and additional 10 minutes for making fried rice. Yes, only 10 minutes! You don’t waste time reheating cold leftover rice. It is a fail-proof method I used for my Instant Pot Chicken fried Rice and Instant Pot Fried Rice with Frozen veggies. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, resort to cold refrigerated rice. It will be perfect! Don’t use fresh cooked stovetop rice, it will become gooey, sticky and will ruin the entire dish. Crave fried rice and don’t have time to cool it completely for a few hours? Cook rice, then evenly spread a very thin layer of rice on a large plate/ baking sheet, cover with plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes or freeze for 15 minutes until it is completely cold.
- High Heat. Any fried rice is cooked using stir fry technique. It is a method of rapidly cooking food over high heat (350 F/175 C- 400 F/ 200C) in an oiled wok. This method helps to develop big flavors. I recommend to heat up your wok/ skillet for 2-3 minutes or until it becomes smoking hot. If you see some liquid in your pan when preparing this fried rice, it simply means that you are not stir frying but boiling. I noticed that some shrimp may become watery. The solution is to coat shrimp in cornstarch to dry off the surface. But, again, you know better your local market and the quality of products. It you know that their shrimp tends to be watery, coat in cornstarch before frying.
- Sesame Oil. Sesame oil will bring any fried rice to the next level and make it smell so good. I usually add it at the end of cooking. Mix it together with soy sauce, rice vinegar and oyster sauce and pour over the stir fried rice. Never cook with sesame oil, because if you overheat and burn it, rice will taste very bitter.
- Oyster Sauce. It adds those great savory flavors and you will have earthly feeling in your mouth when eating shrimp fried rice. If you don’t like this “milk of the sea” as it is called sometimes, leave it out.
- Adjust amount of soy sauce to your taste. Tastes differ, some people experience tastes like saltiness more intensely than others. Different soy sauces taste differently. Find the one which will work for you. You may need to add more or less soy sauce for this recipe. Start with 1 tbsp. and add more if you need. Less is better than More when it comes to cooking.
INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE SHRIMP FRIED RICE
Let’s have a look at the ingredients list. The recipe calls (affiliate links included):
- Fresh Cooked Instant Pot or refrigerated rice: Both white and brown rice will work for the recipe. I always cook mine in Instant pot, which is better than any rice cooker. I know that many recipes claim that freshly-cooked rice will not work well, which is absolutely not true when it comes to rice cooked in an Instant Pot. But, stovetop rice needs to be completely chilled before adding to the hot oiled work/skillet.
- Shrimp: I used local fresh shrimp (medium size).
- Eggs: A great source of protein and they give texture to the rice.
- Veggies: I used mixed frozen veggies. Place them in a microwave–safe bowl, add 4-5 tbsp. of water and microwave for 3-4 minutes, then drain. Fresh veggies will work as well.
- Garlic & Onion: garlic, onion & ginger are common aromatics for fried rice.
- Soy sauce: A regular soy sauce is saltier than the low-sodium sauce. I used the regular one, so add more if you are using low-sodium soy sauce.
- Oyster sauce and rice vinegar: Help flavors to become more pronounced. You can find them at Asian supermarkets or on Amazon.
- Sesame oil and sesame seeds. Boost flavors. You can find them at any big supermarket or order on Amazon.
- Green onion
WHAT GOES WELL WITH FRIED RICE?
Steamed Broccoli with Toasted garlic
If you like this Shrimp Fried Rice be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating!
SHRIMP FRIED RICE
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6
This Restaurant-style Shrimp Fried Rice is The BEST! Juicy, tender shrimp stir fried with eggs, garlic, onion, veggies and rice. It is very easy to make this irresistibly delicious 25-minutes fried rice and you won’t get enough of it!
- Vegetable oil- 3 tbsp.
- Onion ( finely chopped)- 1, medium
- Garlic cloves ( finely chopped)- 4
- Uncooked shrimp ( peeled & deveined)- 700 gm or 1.5 lbs
- Mixed frozen veggies ( frozen corn, carrots, & peas) - 2 ½ cup, thawed
- Eggs ( lightly beaten)- 4
- Fresh Cooked jasmine/ basmati rice*- 4 cups
- Soy sauce- 2 tbsp.
- Oyster sauce- 2 tbsp.
- Rice vinegar- 1 tbsp.
- Sesame oil- 2 tbsp.
- Salt -to taste
- Green onion ( finely chopped)- ¼ cup
- Black sesame seeds- 1 tbsp., optional
- In a large skillet heat 3 tbs. of vegetable oil, saute onion until translucent, then add garlic, cook until fragrant.
- Add the shrimp and cook about 15-20 seconds or until half cooked through.
- Push the shrimp to one side of the skillet, add the beaten eggs, scramble the eggs with a whisk or spatula and cook until no longer runny.
- Put the veggies, give a nice stir and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice.
- In a medium bowl combine sesame oil, rice vinegar, oyster sauce, and soy sauce.
- Pour the mixture over the fried rice and mix well, add green onion and sesame seeds, Give a good stir.
I used Fresh Cooked Instant Pot jasmine rice in this recipe, the texture of this rice is absolutely amazing! You can use also cold, leftover cooked rice, but the recipe will have some adjustments.Cook the shrimp and egg and transfer them to the plate, then cook frozen veggies and cooked rice until well reheated. Return shrimp back to the skillet.
If your local shrimp tend to become watery, I recommend to coat them in a cornstarch before frying.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Fried rice recipes
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 100 g
- Calories: 124 kcal
- Sugar: 1.12 g
- Sodium: 264 mg
- Fat: 1.97 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.79 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 4.49 g
- Cholesterol: 22 mg
Keywords: shrimp fried rice, fried rice, shrimp recipes
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
Bookmarked this colourful shrimp fried rice recipe on to our site.