Learn how to make Shrimp Tempura Roll (Godzilla roll) with this easy homemade shrimp tempura recipe. It is loaded with crispy shrimp tempura, cream cheese, avocado, imitation crab meat and cucumber.
Make sure to check how to make shrimp tempura for the best results.
Shrimp Tempura Roll Recipe
Have you ever tried to make sushi at home? It is much easier than you might think. And plus it is so much fun. You will be surprised at how quickly and easily you can make about 30-35 shrimp tempura rolls in 30 minutes.
If you are missing your favorite Japanese restaurants due to corona virus situation, you should definitely try this copycat recipe. I am sure it will become a family favorite. Holy yum, they are seriously the best!
What is in shrimp tempura roll
- Sushi Rice: Use good quality Japanese short-grain rice and make sure to check how to cook it below.
- Nori sheets: You can find these traditional seaweed wrappers in any big supermarket or at amazon.
- Shrimp tempura: I used large shrimp and Blue Dragon tempura batter mix. If using another brand, make sure to check the package instructions.
- Imitation crab sticks: They make shrimp tempura roll taste and look batter.
- Avocado: Ripe but not brown.
- Cucumber: Cut it into thin sticks.
- Cream cheese: Low fat and full fat cheese will work well. You will need 2 tablespoons per nori sheet.
Let’s talk about ingredients! You can find most of the ingredients for this shrimp tempura roll at your local supermarket. Check the Asian section. Amazon is another option. If you are a sushi lover and plan to make sushi often or want to make a sushi party, buy toasted nori sheets, soy sauce and wasabi in bulk to save money.
How to make sushi rice
Rice is the key ingredient in sushi. To make classic sticky sushi rice, you will need Japanese short-grain rice, rice vinegar and salt. Personally, I always make it in the Instant Pot, but you can cook it on the stovetop or in a rice cooker. Also I want to make it clear that rice will need some time to cool down to the room temperature after cooking. I recommend to cook it ahead of time. Here is how to make it.
Rinse the rice with cold water and drain. Combine the cooked rice with water and salt. Cook on the stove, in rice cooker or in the Instant pot. I love to cook rice in the instant pot because it takes only 4 minutes. It is seriously amazing! I provided instructions for cooking sushi rice below, however make sure to check the package instructions to get the best results.
Have you ever wondered why the shrimp tempura are so straight? Here is how to make it:
Make 4-5 slits into inner part (underside) of each shrimp. This method will prevent shrimp from curling when frying.
Once you straightened out all the shrimp, heat enough vegetable oil for deep frying in a medium pot.
While the oil is heating, combine the dry tempura batter mix and COLD water. It is very important to use cold or ice water to prevent the shrimp from absorbing too much oil and to get the crispiest tempura. Dip each shrimp into the batter and deep fry for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Don’t over cook!
How to make shrimp tempura roll
You don’t need special equipment to make sushi at home. Before I didn’t have even sushi mat and just rolled sushi with my hands. Frankly speaking, it was fine, but the sushi were not very tight. You will need a cutting board, sushi mat, a bowl of water and a sharp knife.
- Slice avocado and cut cucumber into thin sticks.
- Keep a bowl of water near your working area (for dipping your hands to prevent rice from sticking).
- Spread the rice evenly over the nori. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and flip over.
- Add the filling and roll firmly, but don’t press hard otherwise the filling will come out. Cut into 6-7 pieces with a wet knife.
- Drizzle with spicy mayo and sprinkle with extra sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Shrimp Tempura Video
More shrimp recipes
Shrimp fried rice- easy and flavorful fried rice
Shrimp Alfredo- ready in 30 minutes
If you make this Shrimp tempura recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!