Easy Ceviche recipe is packed with fresh shrimp, tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, fresh cilantro, jalapenos and avocados. It is amazingly refreshing, light and full of flavor. You can use raw or cooked shrimp for this restaurant quality Mexican dish. It is a perfect meal for hot summer days. Gluten Free and keto–friendly!
This ceviche is a hit at every party! I usually serve it over tostadas or with Doritos or tortilla chips. If you like Cowboy Caviar or Black beans salsa, this ceviche recipe is a must try!
This Mexican ceviche is one of my favourite things to eat in summer. Reasons to love it:
- Super delicious.
- Light and refreshing.
- It is healthy.
- Full of flavours.
- Gluten free.
- Easy to make.
The recipe calls for shrimp, but you can use raw fish (Tilapia, Bass, Snapper, Cod or Halibut) instead.
Fresh/ cooked cubed shrimp marinated in a lime juice, then combined with tomatoes, red onion, avocado, fresh cilantro and jalapenos. Serve it as an appetizer with tortilla chips or as a healthy dinner with Jasmine rice.
Ceviche can be prepared ahead of time which makes it a perfect dish for potluck parties.
What is Ceviche?
Ceviche is a South American raw seafood salsa which is always served cold. Raw shrimp or fish are marinated in a large amount of an acidic marinade, then mixed together with tomatoes, jalapenos, cucumbers, onion and avocados.
What does Ceviche Taste like?
Ceviche is very light and kind of fresh and acid and the flavours are well balanced. It is always a little bit spicy, but if you don’t like the heat, leave out the jalapenos.
Is Ceviche Safe to eat?
It goes without saying that shrimp served raw should be very FRESH.
Overall ceviche is safe to eat as the high amount of lime juice (acid) will cook shrimp without heat. The only condition is that you need to marinate shrimp for 1-2 hours. If you are still concerned about parasites, simply freeze shrimp ahead of time to kill any parasites. You can also make this dish with cooked shrimp. It will taste the same! Actually I often make it with cooked shrimp.
- Raw seafood
- Red Onion
- Fresh squeezed lime juice
- Fresh Cilantro
- Dried Oregano
- Worcestershire sauce
How to Make Ceviche
- Dice the shrimp and chop the vegetables.
- Transfer the shrimp to a large bowl and stir in 1 cup of fresh lime juice if you use raw shrimp or ½ cup of lime juice for cooked shrimp. Refrigerate for 1- 2 hours only or you can overcook shrimp.
- When shrimp is pink and cooked through in an acid marinade, stir in all the veggies, Worcestershire sauce.
- Season with black pepper, salt and oregano.
Other Salsa Recipes
Like Salsa? Try other salsa recipes.
- Mango Salsa
- Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- Picca de Gallo
If you like Shrimp Ceviche be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating!
- Total Time: 95 min
- Yield: 4
Easy Ceviche recipe is packed with fresh shrimp, tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, fresh cilantro, jalapenos and avocados. It is amazingly refreshing, light and full of flavor. You can use raw or cooked shrimp for this restaurant quality Mexican ceviche. It is a perfect meal for hot summer days.
- Shrimp ( cooked or raw, peeled, deveined and diced)- 600 gm / 1.3 lbs
- Fresh squeezed lime juice- 1 cup for raw shrimp or ½ cup for cooked shrimp
- Tomatoes ( diced)- 2 cups
- Large cucumber ( diced)-1
- Small red onion ( diced)- 1
- Large Avocado ( diced)-1
- Fresh cilantro leaves ( chopped)-½ cup
- Pickled jalapenos ( sliced)-¼ cup , or 1 fresh jalapeno seeded
- Worcestershire sauce-1/ 4 cup
- Dried oregano- 1 tsp.
- Black pepper- to taste
- Salt- as needed
- Raw shrimp. In a large serving dish/bowl, combine shrimp with 1 cup of lime juice, then cover and marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours or until shrimp are pink.
- Cooked shrimp. Combine shrimp with ½ cup of lime juice, cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, chop and dice vegetables ( tomatoes, onion, cilantro, cucumber, avocado and cilantro).
- Once shrimp are ready, add vegetables to the serving dish/ bowl.
- Pour the Worcestershire sauce over the shrimp ceviche, season with oregano, salt and black pepper. Mix well.
- Serve immediately on tostadas or with tortilla chips.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 90 min
- Category: Salsa recipes
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 100 gm
- Calories: 62 kcal
- Sugar: 1.36 g
- Sodium: 158 mg
- Fat: 0.75 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.58 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 10.34 g
- Cholesterol: 18 mg
Keywords: ceviche, ceviche recipe, shrimp recipes
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
OTHER SHRIMP RECIPES
Leave a Reply