Buttery sauteed mushrooms are a delicious and flavorful side dish. They are a great addition to any roast, steaks, soups and steamed rice.
These pan seared mushrooms are cooked in a garlic butter sauce until caramelized. A quick and easy side dish that takes only 10 minutes to make.
Mushrooms dishes are always a hit in our house. We enjoy them with Lemon Garlic Chicken, Garlic Herb Butter Roasted Chicken, Mashed potatoes and Instant Pot Jasmine Rice. These sautéed mushrooms go really well with almost everything. They are healthier and better than any restaurant version!
You will love everything about this mushroom dish because it comes together really quickly and tastes amazing.
Sauteed Mushrooms Ingredients
You will need simple ingredients for this mushroom recipe:
- Unsalted Butter- I recommend unsalted butter to be able to control the saltiness.
- Mushrooms- use Cremini Mushrooms, Portobello Mushrooms, Porcini Mushrooms or button mushroom.
- Lemon juice- boosts the flavor.
- Ground black pepper
- Garlic cloves-fresh garlic gives the best results. Avoid garlic powder!
- Fresh parsley-you can use any herbs. Personally I like parsley, thyme, cilantro and dill.
- Green chili- for really hot sautéed mushrooms, slice green chili.
How to sauté mushrooms
The truth is that it is very easy to sauté mushrooms. However, there are some tips to get the perfectly sautéed mushrooms:
- Sauté mushrooms in the preheated pan over high heat to get rid of the moisture. Mushrooms have 90 % water in them. If you saute them over low or medium heat, the water will seep out and they will become watery. Medium high heat works the best! It helps water to evaporate and gives mushrooms golden brown color.
- Don’t overcrowd! You might need to sauté them in batches if your pan is small to accommodate all the mushrooms.
How long sauté mushrooms
Saute mushrooms for about 3-4 minutes or until there is no liquid in the pan and they are golden brown. If you plan to leave out onion, make sure that butter is really hot before adding mushrooms. This guarantees that they will saute instead of steaming in their own liquid.
Make sure not to over crowd them in the pan as this will affect the cooking time as well. The pan should be large enough to achieve the best results.
what to serve with sautéed mushrooms
Options are endless! Almost everything goes well with them. They are perfect for chicken, salmon and soups.
Can sautéed mushrooms be reheated?
Yes!! Reheat them in microwave for 1-2 minutes or in the preheated pan. Don’t store them more than 4 days in the fridge.
You can also freeze the sautéed mushrooms. Simply allow them to cool down completely, transfer to an airtight container and freeze for up to 5 months.
More Mushroom RecipesPrint
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4
Buttery sautéed mushrooms are a delicious and flavorful side dish. They are a great addition to any roast, steaks, soups and steamed rice.
- Unsalted Butter- 2 tablespoons
- Onion (finely chopped)-1
- Mushrooms- 1.3 lbs (600 g)
- Lemon juice- 2-3 tablespoons
- Ground black pepper- 1 teaspoon
- Garlic cloves (finely chopped)- 4
- Fresh parsley (chopped)- 2 tablespoons
- Salt- to taste.
- Melt the butter in a large non stick pan over medium high heat.
- Once the butter is hot, add the chopped onion and saute until translucent, about 2 minutes, add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes until golden.
- Add the lemon juice and season with ground black pepper and cook for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Finally add garlic, parsley and salt. Cook for a further 30 seconds or until garlic fragrant.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Side dishes
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 167 kcal
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 10 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 30 mg
Keywords: sauteed mushrooms, mushrooms, garlic mushrooms
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!