This garlic turmeric rice is soft, fluffy and easy to make. It’s aromatic and absolutely delicious. All you need is some garlic, onion, and butter to form the base of this delectable flavor palate. It’s a one-pot Middle Eastern rice extravaganza! Perhaps best of all, you’ll only need about 20 minutes on the stovetop to get this yellow rice together!
What Is Turmeric Rice?
Turmeric rice is also known as middle eastern rice or Indian rice. It’s made in many Asian countries and in various Asian communities around the world. There are plenty of regional variations, too.
In this recipe, we’re adding ground turmeric to the rice to add plenty of color and flavor. Turmeric is a key ingredient in a lot of Indian meals. It’s earthy and a little bitter in flavor, and is linked to a broad array of health benefits, too.
We’ll only need a teaspoon of this powerfully flavored spice to add a touch of delectable earthy flavor to the rice. This works in symphony with the garlic, butter, and onion to form the flavor palate of this delicious rice recipe.
Garlic Turmeric Rice Recipe
By fragrancing this recipe with these awesome aromatics and some chicken stock, we create a wonderful-tasting rice dish. The rich, garlicky flavors will elevate and complement even the most powerfully flavored curries, meats, and other dishes.
Our favorite thing about this recipe, however, is how quickly and easily it all comes together. It needs only twenty minutes in a single pot to take your rice game to the next level. It’s so easy and so quick you’ll be wondering why you haven’t been making rice this way all along!
This turmeric rice is really versatile. It pairs well with pretty much any dish, but especially so with any Indian or Middle Eastern style dishes. Our recommendation is a marinated chicken kebab or Air Fryer Chicken Legs. It goes really well with tofu, veggies, Sautéed Mushrooms, and really any dish you can think of.
What Do I Need To Make Turmeric Rice?
The best part of this recipe is how well it uses simple kitchen staples to make something truly special.
- We’re using ghee or butter to add flavor to the rice. It also helps us to achieve that perfectly soft, fluffy texture we all love about rice. We believe unsalted butter works best in this recipe, but you can use salted butter if you’re happy to reduce the amount of salt you’re using to taste.
- Our key aromatics are onion and garlic. We’re sauteeing these pantry classics in butter to maximize their flavor and aroma before we add them to the rice.
- We’re also using turmeric powder, a pungent, yellow powder that is responsible for this rice dish’s flavor and color. This is a key ingredient in the recipe, and you could use saffron if you prefer. Saffron is far more expensive than turmeric, however.
- Chicken stock (or vegetable stock) ensure that every grain of rice is imbued with plenty of flavor. It makes a huge difference to your end result.
- Salt and pepper are here to season the rice to your personal preference.
- Lemon juice really helps to add more flavor.
How to Make Turmeric Rice
- In a medium saucepan or pot, melt butter or ghee over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Then, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add turmeric powder and stir to combine. Mix in the rice and stir to combine. Cook for about 1 minute or until lightly toasted.
- Add the stock, salt and pepper. Mix well and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes before fluffing the rice with a fork.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro leaves.
Tips and Tricks For The Best Yellow Rice
This turmeric rice recipe is SO easy and so fun to make. Like any recipe, there are a few tricks you can deploy to truly take it to the next level.
- Rinse the rice prior to cooking. So many cooks forget to rinse their rice! This helps remove any extra starch from the rice grains. This starch can cause your rice to stick together and become claggy rather than fluffy.
- To rinse your rice, use either a bowl or a colander. The colander method requires you to put your uncooked rice in a colander and rinse it under cold running water until the water runs clear, or at least less cloudy.
- The bowl method requires you to put your uncooked rice in a large bowl. Add enough water to cover all the rice, stir it, and pour out the water. Do this until your water runs clear or less cloudy, drain in a colander, and your rice is good to go.
- You should saute your vegetables before adding them. Sauteeing your garlic and onion in butter really helps to bring out all the aromatic goodness. You want to be able to smell the heavenly aroma of cooking garlic and onion. An easier method of doing this is to use powdered alternatives, but we strongly recommend that you use fresh garlic and onion. You won’t be able to do this with a rice cooker, but it’s worth the effort!
- Cook your rice in a stainless steel sauté pan and taste the difference for yourself.
- Be sure to let your rice rest for five minutes before fluffing with a fork. What you’re going to do is, when your timer goes off, remove your rice from heat and leave covered for about five minutes. Then fluff the rice with a fork. This allows your rice grains to absorb any residual moisture rather than leaving the moisture on the outside of the rice. This helps it get softer and fluffier.
- Resting is a really important step in cooking the perfect rice dinner. In fact, rice cookers build a resting period into their cooking process! That’s why rice from the cooker often tastes so fluffy and delicious.
This garlic turmeric rice recipe really is as easy as it is tasty. Armed with these tips, why not try it for yourself?
- Fridge: Store this yellow rice in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: This turmeric rice freezes well in a freezer-safe container for up to 4 months. Thaw in the fridge and reheat in the microwave.
More Delicious Rice Recipes
If you make this garlic turmeric rice be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print