Juicy Easy Meatloaf with few ingredients! Made of ground beef, saltines crackers, onion, cheddar cheese, parsley, eggs and tomato sauce. It is a great meatloaf recipe to make for family dinner!
It was inspired by my Meatloaf with Ritz crackers. This time I added crushed saltines crackers for the amazing texture they provide and used only a few ingredients. You are ten ingredients from making juicy and delicious meatloaf!
Meatloaf is one of America’s comfort foods. It is easy to make and budget friendly. That is why I always include Best Meatloaf recipe, Stuffed Meatloaf, Cheeseburger meatloaf or Bbq Meatloaf in my weekly menu. All of them are juicy and delicious. But my family still expect me to come up with a new recipe from time to time.
This meatloaf recipe is a new family favorite! You will need only a few ingredients to make this perfectly juicy meatloaf without bread crumbs that won’t fall apart!
- Ghee/ butter– Use ghee, butter or vegetable oil for sauteing onion.
- Onion – Finely chopped and sautéed onion adds an extra layer of flavor. You can skip sautéing and add raw onion. Make sure to grate it or chop in a food processor.
- Ground beef– Lean beef (85 % meat+15 % fat) works the best. I found that 15-20 % of fat is enough to keep it moist during baking. Fatty chunk of meat will make the meatloaf greasy.
- Saltines crackers– Use plain or flavoured crackers. Crush them before adding to the meat mixture. You can do it using a food processor or transfer them into a zip log packet and crush with a rolling pin. They provide a very nice texture.
- Cheddar cheese– This meatloaf is bursting with cheese. Mozzarella will work as well.
- Large eggs-They work like a binding agent and hold the ground beef, crackers, onion and spices together.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Tomato sauce– I love to add tomato sauce instead of milk. It provides additional flavor and makes it juicy too.
- Parsley– You can use any herbs: cilantro, parsley or dill. If you don’t have them, leave it out.
- Salt & pepper
How Long to Cook Meatloaf
Bake it at 350 F (175 C) for 70 minutes. Cooking times may vary from oven to oven. It is always good to use a loaf pan to shape the meatloaf. It guarantees even cooking. In addition to this, if the meatloaf is very flat and thin, it will cook quicker.
When the meatloaf is done, the internal temperature is 160 F (70 C). Use a meat thermometer to check it and not to overbake the meatloaf. There is nothing worse than dry chunk of meat.
How to make meatloaf
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C). Grease a grill skillet or a regular 9 x 13- inch baking sheet. Keep aside.
- Saute onion in ghee (clarified butter) or butter until translucent. Allow to cool.
- Combine the ground beef, saltine crumbs, cooled onion, parsley, cheddar cheese, eggs, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Don’t OVERMIX!
- Transfer the mixture onto the prepared grill skillet and shape a loaf with your hands or use a loaf pan.
- Spread the glaze over it.
- Bake until cooked through.
Can meatloaf be made ahead of time
Absolutely! It is a very easy meatloaf and you can make it ahead of time!
Simply mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 days. When ready to use, bring the mixture to room temperature, shape a log, cover with the sauce and bake.
You can also cover a cutting board with plastic wrap, put the meat mixture, shape a loaf and put in the freezer. Once it is semi-frozen, cover with plastic and freeze for 4-5 months. You can cook the frozen meatloaf (without defrosting) in a slow cooker.
What to Serve with Meatloaf
Mashed Potatoes– make a hearty meal
Mashed Cauliflower-for my low carb lovers
Instant Pot Basmari Rice– a quick and easy side dish.
Steamed Broccoli– light and healthy but full of flavor
If you make this easy meatloaf with few ingredients be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!