Delicious & flavor packed Sauteed spinach is a super healthy, easy and low carb meal. Gluten free, paleo & vegan friendly!Takes 10 minutes to prepare.Today is a new recipe and a new skill you’ll want to master to do it properly. Or at least if you want to do it with the flair of those chefs on television. We’re making sautéed spinach. Step one is figuring out how to sauté anything.
First and foremost, proper tools for a proper job. There are actual sauté pans that are different than frying pans. Mainly, they have longer handles and taller sides that make it easier to shake or stir the food. Keep in mind that the size of the pan is important and varies depending on how much food you’re cooking. If you use one that’s too small, you’ll be steaming most of the vegetables instead of browning them.
Speaking of browning, you’re going to need to keep that food on the move! Fun fact: the word sauté comes from the French word sauter which means “to jump.” The heat will be on high and if you don’t keep that food jumping, it will burn instead of brown.
OILS OR BUTTER
You’ll need to throw a little fat of some kind into the heated pan. Oils are easier to use because butter burns so quickly, but butter can add an additional, nutty flavor to your veggies. If you choose to use butter, keep an eye on it and reduce the heat a bit if necessary.
When you’re ready, add the spinach carefully so as not to splash hot oil or butter on yourself. Reduce the heat to medium, then start putting the food in motion. Do not put a lid on it!
If you’re afraid of throwing it all over the kitchen, you can use a wooden spoon to stir it. But, really, the grab and shake is a lot more fun. It also ensures the food is evenly coated with the oil or butter, which helps both the cooking and the finished flavor. Keep that shaking going until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
I know I’ve spent a lot of time on the skill of sauté, but that’s because the rest of my recipe is so simple. Fresh veggies, a little butter or oil, a sprinkling of seasoning, and you’ve got something delicious and healthy.
As always and forever, the comments are open and available to you. If you have a favorite brand of sauté pan, let me know in the comments. If you throw the food all over the kitchen the first time you try to properly sauté, take pictures and post them here. We’ll laugh along with you.
Thanks for reading and enjoy the recipe!
SAUTEED SPINACH IN 10 MINUTES
- Flat-leaf spinach- 1 kg
- Garlic cloves (finely chopped) – 3
- Red chili flakes-1 /2 tsp
- Roasted cumin- 1/ 2 tsp
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp.
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper – to taste
- Trim the spinach stems, then wash the leaves in several changes of water. Dry using a clean towel or any clean absorbent material.
- In a large skillet combine 2 tbsp. of butter with garlic and allow them to heat up together, so the garlic flavor will infuse in the oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat until the garlic becomes fragrant and lightly golden.
- At this point, add a pinch of red chili flakes and ½ tsp roasted cumin. Add the spinach (a handful at a time). Cook until the spinach in the pan wilts, then add more. When all the spinach is wilted, season with salt & cook 1-2 minutes until spinach is tender.
- Drain in a colander for a fresher taste.
- Adjust salt and black pepper.
Viola! Sauteed spinach is ready!
Try this sauteed spinach and share your experience!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE