This shrimp tempura sauce is savory, sweet, salty, and perfect for shrimp tempura or tempura vegetables. You will need only five ingredients and 5 minutes to make this dipping sauce from start to finish.
Be sure to try it with our Shrimp Tempura or any tempura appetizer.
Tempura Dipping Sauce
This tempura sauce is extremely versatile, super quick and easy to make. It is loaded with savoury, sweet and umami flavours that you are going to love!
We like to use it for any tempura, tofu dishes or drizzle steamed vegetables. It helps to enhance their flavors. But it also works great as dipping sauce for sushi. And feel free to get creative and add it into everything from rice to seafood.
There are so many ways to use this tempura sauce. Let’s make it!
Tempura Sauce Ingredients
To make this sauce, you will need the following ingredients.
- Dashi powder: It is Japanese soup stock that really enhances the flavor and a must for this dipping sauce. You can get it at Japanese grocery stores or at amazon.
- Low-sodium soy Sauce: It helps to balance the savory and salty flavors.
- Mirin: This Japanese sweet rice wine complements the sauce and adds some sweetness together with sugar.
- Sugar: It balances the saltiness. Feel free to adjust the amount to your liking.
- Warm water to dissolve the dashi powder.
Dashi power substitute
This Japanese soup stock is a key ingredient in this sauce. However, it can be difficult to find it. Alternatively you can use hon dashi powder.
If you can’t get both, use chicken broth. It doesn’t have that briny flavor from fish, but it will add umami notes to the sauce.
How to make tempura sauce
- Boil. Mix Hondashi powder, sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring it to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the soy sauce and mirin. Remove from the heat.
- Mix until combined. Serve with shrimp tempura.
What goes with tempura sauce?
This sauce pairs well with fried or battered seafood. Here are some serving suggestions.
- Seafood-shrimp tempura, salmon or battered cod.
- Vegetables- It is another great option. Serve it with Steamed broccoli, asparagus or cauliflower.
- Sushi rolls- Try it with our Crunchy Sushi roll or Boston roll.
- Soups- Add to egg or corn soup to add another depth of flavor.
How to store
This tempura sauce lasts for up to 6-7 days in the refrigerator if stored properly. Keep it in an airtight container.
If you make this tempura sauce be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
Shrimp Tempura Sauce Recipe
- Total Time: 3 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Warm water-¾ cup
- Hondashi powder-1 teaspoon
- Low sodium soy sauce-3 tablespoons
- Mirin-2 tablespoons
- Granulated sugar- 2 tablespoons
- Combine Hondashi powder, sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring it to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add low sodium soy sauce and mirin. Mix and serve with shrimp tempura. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 1 min
- Cook Time: 2 min
- Category: Sauce recipes
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Calories: 17kcal
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 310mg
- Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g
Keywords: tempura sauce, tempura dipping sauce,sauce
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
Leave a Reply