These Scalloped potatoes are creamy, cheesy and full of garlic flavor! Baked in a delicious homemade thick and creamy garlic sauce and then broiled for crispy top layer. This scalloped potatoes recipe will be perfect for Sunday dinner, Thanksgiving or Christmas. An amazingly delicious side dish!
WHAT ARE SCALLOPED POTATOES?
Scalloped potatoes are a dish originated in England, potatoes are thinly sliced, then layered in a casserole and baked in a creamy sauce. Even though the potatoes are usually peeled and thinly sliced for this dish, I gave these scalloped potatoes a twist and used Hasselback potatoes. The result was fantastic! Potatoes turned out to be crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. They looked so tempting! I love the fact that potato slices are connected at the base. And that creamy garlic sauce I usually use for classic scalloped potatoes brought this dish on the next level.
Scalloped Potatoes Ingredients
- Potatoes are a key ingredient for this dish. What type of potatoes are the best for scalloped potatoes? Use starchy potatoes as Yukon or Russet. Waxy potatoes like red skinned potatoes are most likely to be hard after baking.
- Ham/smoked beef are optional, but I like to insert ham, smoked beef or sliced mushrooms between the slices. They turn a simple side dish into a delicious complete meal.
- Cheddar cheese: Any hard cheese will work (Parmesan, Pecorino, Gruyere Cheese, Gorgonzola Cheese, Emmental Cheese..). I highly recommend to shred it yourself. Don’t use shredded store bought cheese.
- Ground black pepper and salt: Adjust to your liking.
SAUCE FOR SCALLOPED POTATOES
- Unsalted butter is a common ingredient to make roux for this creamy white sauce. However, you can use almost any fat (vegetable oil or duck fat).
- Garlic cloves: Make sure you mince your garlic cloves instead of chopping. This guarantees that garlic will be properly cooked and not too pungent.
- All purpose flour: The recipe calls for all-purpose flour but corn flour will work well for a gluten free version.
- Milk: Both low fat and full fat milk can be used. For the richer sauce, use heavy cream or half and half.
- Ham/ smoked beef: It is absolutely optional, but it improves the sauce flavor so much.
- Beef bullion cube: Crush the cube before adding to the sauce. You can leave it out if you don’t have.
- Ground black pepper and salt
How to Make Scalloped Potatoes
Here is the picture to help you understand how to make the best scalloped potatoes from scratch. Comfort food at its best!
- Wash potatoes using a food brush. It is really important not to skip this step as you won’t peel potatoes. Make thin crosswise slices, about ⅛ -inch thick, stopping about ¾ through the way down. All the slices should be attached to the base. Alternatively, insert ham/smoked beef pieces between potato slices. Arrange potatoes in the prepared baking dish.
- Prepare the creamy white sauce ( the recipe below).
- Pour the sauce over the potatoes.
- Top with shredded cheese. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Bake uncovered another 30 minutes until crispy top layer forms.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SCALLOPED POTATOES
Serve these scalloped potatoes with Cheesy Roasted Asparagus, Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken, Garlic Herb Butter Roasted Chicken, Mojo Chicken, Chicken Thighs, Steamed Broccoli , classic Meatloaf, Stuffed Meatloaf, Fattoush salad or Quinoa salad with feta cheese.
If you make these Scalloped Potatoes be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating!
HOW TO MAKE SCALLOPED POTATOESPrint
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.