Rasta Pasta is a creamy Caribbean style pasta dish. It is bursting with colors and so many flavors. Ready in 30 minutes.
It is spicy, creamy and made with chicken, cheese, jerk seasoning and bell peppers. A Jamaican spin on Italian pasta! I am sure you are going to love it!
What is Rasta Pasta
It is a colourful Jamaican pasta dish made with 3 coloured bell peppers, chicken, generous amount of jerk seasoning, penne pasta and creamy sauce. It is seriously a great combination of Italian and Jamaican cuisines.
Rasta pasta has a very unique flavor and a nice spicy kick that made this pasta dish popular all over the world. You can find it on menus of the world’s best restaurants.
Also it is quick and easy to make at home in 30 minutes!
Rasta Pasta Ingredients
- Penne pasta-Use any short tube pasta on hand (penne, rigatoni, cavatappi, ziti or campalle). If the pasta package has the word “rigate”, the pasta will have ridges that make it easier for sauces to stick.
- Vegetable oil
- Chicken breasts-I used raw chicken, but you can use a shortcut and replace it with shredded rotisserie chicken.
- Jerk seasoning- It adds a spicy kick and tons of flavor. You can find it at any big supermarket or purchase at amazon. Also you can make it at home in 5 minutes (garlic powder, cayenne pepper, thyme, parsley, paprika, brown sugar, allspice mix and salt).
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic cloves- Mince garlic, using a microplane blade to avoid raw garlic.
- Bell peppers- They add so much flavor and make this pasta dish very colourful.
- Chicken stock- If you don’t have chicken stock on hand, use pasta water or vegetable stock.
- Cooking cream- You can use evaporated milk but the sauce will be more runny.
- Parmesan- Grate Parmesan yourself. Don’t use the pre-shredded store-bought stuff.
- Green onion- optional
How to make Rasta Pasta
- Cook the pasta. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to the package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water for later (if you don’t have chicken stock on hand). Drain the pasta.
- Cook the chicken and veggies. Heat vegetable oil in a large pot. Add the chicken and season with jerk spice mix. Mix until well combined. Cook for 12-15 minutes over medium high heat or until chicken is done. Add the garlic and peppers. Mix and cook until fragrant, about 40 seconds.
- Make the sauce. Add the chicken stock (or pasta water), cream and parmesan into the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer. Allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta. Finally, add the cooked pasta and give a nice stir. Garnish with fresh chopped chives or parsley. Enjoy!
Feel free to increase the amount of jerk seasoning for a stronger flavor or add 1-2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper for really spicy rasta pasta.
Also you can use shrimp instead of chicken.
How to make Rasta Pasta with Alfredo Sauce
Hey! You can also make this rasta pasta with store bought or homemade Alfredo sauce. Simply cook chicken and veggies as described in the recipe. Cook pasta according to the package instructions.
Store-bought Alfredo Sauce: Mix it with the cooked pasta and cook over low medium heat for about 3-4 minutes to blend it. At the very end top pasta with chicken and veggies.
Homemade Alfredo sauce: Nothing beats homemade Alfredo Sauce. It is reach, creamy and so delicious. Make Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce or classic Alfredo sauce without flour. Once the sauce is ready, add the cooked pasta, chicken and veggies. Mix well to combine. Alternatively, you can mix it only with pasta. And later, you can top each bowl with chicken and veggies.
What is Jerk Seasoning
It is a Jamaican spice mix that usually contains allspice, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, thyme, brown sugar, parsley, Scotch bonnet peppers ( or red chili flakes) and salt. It is a great blend of spices and herbs. You can use it for meat, veggies, pizza or pasta dishes.
Rasta Pasta Video
What goes well with Pasta Rasta
There are so many options when serving this colorful Jamaican pasta dish. You can serve it with Black Bean Salsa, Meatloaf with Ritz crackers, or Sauteed Mushrooms. Enjoy it as a make course or a side dish!
How to store Rasta Pasta
Allow to cool completely, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat it either in the microwave for a few minutes or on the stove. I recommend to add ¼ cup of cream while reheating as the cooked pasta absorbs the sauce and you will be left with very little sauce.
If you like this Rasta pasta recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating! And stop asking siri where rasta pasta near me! It is ridiculously easy to make at home.Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!