This homemade Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce is seriously the BEST! It is creamy, rich and is made with just a few ingredients that you most likely have in your fridge. Ready in 20 minutes and pairs great with Fettuccini. Your whole family will love this copycat version of Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce!
If you like copycat recipes, try my Panda Express Black pepper Chicken.
Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce Copycat Recipe
I love everything about this sauce! It comes together in just 20 minutes and there are so many ways to enjoy it. This sauce is very versatile. It brings any dish to the next level whether it is homemade pasta or baked chicken breasts. You can make also Olive Garden Chicken Alfredo or Shrimp Alfredo. The recipe is very easy and if you are new to cooking, you can make it like a professional chef with my step by step instructions and tips.
Ingredients for Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce
- Unsalted butter: It is an essential ingredient to make roux (mixture of flour and butter) that thickens the sauce. Butter also makes the sauce rich and velvety. Use unsalted butter as it is easier to control saltiness. Any way you can always substitute butter with canola oil. In this case the sauce will not be as rich as the one made with butter, but the texture will be identical.
- Garlic: Make sure you mince your garlic cloves! I recommend to use a microplane grater. Don’t CHOP garlic! Otherwise you most likely will end with chunks of raw garlic in your sauce.
- All-purpose flour: As I mentioned above, we need flour to make roux. For gluten free sauce, use corn starch.
- Milk: Both low fat and full fat milk will work really well.
- Heavy creamy: The recipe calls for heavy cream, but olive arden alfredo sauce with half and half will be as delicious as the one made with heavy creamy. You won't feel the difference.
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese: Please stick to fresh grated cheese because it provides fantastic nutty and savory flavors. It also tastes better and it melts better in the sauce. It is a 3 minute job for your food processor to grate cheese.
- Nutmeg and Black pepper: They help to round out the flavor of the sauce.
How to make Alfredo Sauce
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 40-50 seconds.
- Whisk in all-purpose flour.
- Stir in heavy cream and milk.
- Add fresh grated Parmesan and cook until the cheese melts.
- Season the sauce with salt, pepper and add a pinch of nutmeg. The sauce is ready.
- Toss the cooked Fettuccini with the sauce.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
How to Make Alfredo Sauce Extra creamy?
- You need high quality butter to achieve creamy and smooth texture.
- Don’t overcook the roux (butter/flour mixture). Cook just long enough so the butter and flour are well combined and you don’t feel the taste of raw flour.
- Make sure to bring cheese to room temperature. It is very important because a sudden temperature change will result in clumps and the sauce might have a greasy texture.
- Use high quality Parmesan cheese and grate it yourself. Please avoid the powdered and tasteless Parmesan. Only fresh grated cheese will provide nutty and savory taste.
- Warm up heavy cream and milk before adding to the sauce.
Can I Make Alfredo Sauce ahead of Time?
Yes!! This sauce reheats really well and can be made ahead of time. If you don’t plan to use it immediately, allow to cool completely. Then, put in the fridge. Store it in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
Freezes well for 1-2 months.
How to Reheat Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce
The flour makes this sauce stable and less like to separate or become grainy when it is reheated.
Frozen Alfredo Sauce: Transfer the sauce to the fridge and thaw before reheating. Reheat in a small saucepan over low heat.
If the sauce is very thick, add 1-2 tbsp. of milk or water to thin it out. I don’t recommend to reheat the sauce in the microwave because the texture and consistency might change.
How to Serve Alfredo Sauce?
Other Copycat recipes:
- Copycat Popeyes Chicken Sandwich
- Panda express Black Pepper Chicken
- Copycat Longhorn Parmesan Crusted Chicken
If you make this Olive Garden Alfredo and you like Olive Garden copycat recipes be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating! I will be happy to hear from you!
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
[ess_grid alias="pasta recipes"]