Crispy pesto crusted salmon is easy to make and tastes delicious. The crispy crumb top is out of this world. Restaurant quality baked salmon in less than 20 minutes! Perfect for busy weeknights.
What’s not to love about this baked pesto salmon? It is easy to prepare, clean-up is a breeze and it tastes like a chef has made it! If you had never had pesto on your salmon, you are missing out.
This oven baked salmon is one of our favorite recipes. And it is such a great way to use any pesto. Yes, basil, cilantro or arugula pesto will work well. Every time I make it for our guests or friends, they absolutely love it.
Have pesto sitting in your fridge? Try this healthy salmon recipe for dinner today. You are going to love it!
What do you need to make this pesto crusted salmon
- Salmon: You can use a skin on or off side of salmon. The skin helps to keep moisture inside the salmon.
- Panko breadcrumbs: I highly recommend to use Panko breadcrumbs. They are lighter and flakier than regular bread crumbs and produce crunchier topping.
- Pesto: Nothings beats homemade pesto. However, you can use a store bought pesto. We like Kirkland pesto, get it from Costco or online.
- Garlic: Make sure to grate garlic to avoid raw garlic chunks in the cooked dish.
- Lemon juice: Adjust the amount to your liking. Please avoid bottled lemon juice.
- Cooking spray or olive oil: Spay the pesto topping with a cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil. It makes the crust super crispy.
How to make pesto crusted salmon
- Position your rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat your oven to 400°F | 200°C.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil or parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Season salmon and green beans with salt and pepper. You can use asparagus or cauliflower florets instead of French beans.
- Combine pesto, panko breadcrumbs and garlic in a medium bowl. I usually use my homemade basil pesto and it has a ton of olive oil. If your pesto is very thick, add 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil to the pesto-panko mixture.
- Top the salmon with the pesto mixture and spray the topping with a cooking spray. This helps it brown nicely in the oven.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. The actual cooking time may vary, depending on the thickness of your fillet.
How long to bake salmon at 400
The recipe calls for 4 lbs (2 kg) side of salmon. It takes about 15 minutes at 400°F | 200°C. We love our salmon pink in the middle as it is very juicy. For very well done salmon, bake it for 16-17 minutes. Make sure not to over bake, it will be dry.
How to reheat salmon
This baked salmon will last for 3-4 days if stored properly. Allow to cool completely and transfer to an airtight container. Keep in the fridge. You can also freeze it for up to 4 months.
To reheat the leftover salmon in the oven:
- Preheat your oven to 275°F (135° C). Spray the salmon and the leftover veggies with a cooking spray.
- Cover with baking foil loosely.
- Reheat for 15 minutes.
Another option is to reheat it in the microwave. However, the topping won’t be crunchy.
Salmon side dishes
More baked salmon recipes
If you make this pesto crusted salmon be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!