Pesto baked salmon is a staple of healthy eating. It is absolutely easy to make & delicious.I used broccoli - pine nuts-Parmesan cheese pesto.
Salmon is a flavorful fish which is very healthy to consume. It is very rich in omega 3s; these are very essential fatty acids in which our body cannot make them on its own and they are very good for the heart. Fresh salmon is usually available whether wild or farmed, the wild ones usually have higher price than the tamed salmons. Before buying make sure that the salmon is overly moist, firm and should have a fresh smell. Common forms of salmon include whole fish, steaks or fillets. It is very convenient to ask the business suppliers to skin the salmon fillets for you.
SALMON HEALTH BENEFITS
There are a lot of benefits in eating of salmon.
- Salmon contains essential proteins called bioactive peptides which are vital for the treatment of osteoarthritis and many inflammatory joint conditions. Calcitonin, a particular type of protein has shown to increase, stabilize and balance collagen amalgamation in human body. This protein found in salmon also enhances bone strength and density.
- Eating salmon enhances cardiovascular health. Presence of omega-3 fats, EPA and DHA in salmon brings about numerous cardiovascular advantages, in that by eating salmon few times in a week can prevent you from problems such as high blood pressure, stroke, heart attack, high triglycerides and hypertension.
- It helps in brain development in children. Research has shown that eating salmon during pregnancy and nursing has helped children to learn faster and promotes quick development of brain therefore boosting their academic performance. Salmon contains high amounts DHA which is fundamental unit in fatty acid in retina and central nervous system.
- Eating salmon also helps to reduce the risk and incidence of depression. Our brains are 60% fat and the majority of that is the omega-3 unsaturated fat DHA, which is fundamental for better brain functionality and a stable sensory system. Eating salmon frequently decreases the risk and occurrence of depression.
- Salmon also brings out the best in fresh greens. The B vitamins, proteins, and omega 3 unsaturated fats in salmon supplement the cell reinforcements and vitamin C in greens, for example, kale. and spinach
- Eating salmon promotes cell development. With its numerous vitamins and high protein content, salmon is a great source of selenium, a mineral that fills in as a cell reinforcement in the body. It is linked with decreased danger of joint inflammation and also keeps the immune system and thyroid functioning well, and can keep tissues healthy by protecting cell.
- Salmon is an excellent source of vitamin D. Adequate vitamin D is crucial in maintaining good health. Insufficiency of this essential vitamin has been linked risk of developing cancer, cardiovascular diseases, numerous sclerosis, rheumatoid inflammation and type- 1 diabetes. One can of salmon, for instance, contains a day’s worth of vitamin D
CALORIES IN BAKED SALMON
There are 157 calories in 4 ounces of boneless (yield after cooking) Baked or Broiled Salmon.
Calorie breakdown: 41% fat, 1% carbs, 58% protein
Standard serving sizes.
|1 cubic inch of salmon (yield after bone removed).||19|
|1 cubic inch boneless||26|
|1 cup flaked||171|
|1medium salmon steak (⅝ thick).||233|
|1 medium fillet||243|
PESTO BAKED SALMON
Before you prepare a pesto baked salmon there are tips you need to know. First if you like to use a store bought salmon or you like to make your own, you should try a mixture of salt, paprika and chili powder for a spicy flavor or mixture herbs for herby flavor.
If you like an herby flavor you can use an herb butter such as dill butter or basil butter. However, if you want to keep your flavor simple little olive oil and little lemon or lime may be a good choice with salmon. You can even prepare the salmon a few hours before baking it in the oven.
Salmon is also popular if prepared with glazers. You can make a salmon glaze by baking a sweet juicy fruit like peach or pineapple on top of the salmon. The fruit juice will run over the salmon as it bakes.
You can also try making your own pesto baked salmon marinade recipe! you can do so by preparing a mixture of ginger, brown sugar, lime juice and white wine and marinate the salmon for about half an hour before baking.
HOW TO BAKE THE SALMON
First you line an aluminum foil on a baking tray, this is not necessary but it makes your cleaning easier afterwards. Put the salmon on the baking tray and bake it for 10 to 12 minutes. Until it becomes opaque all through. Correct timing usually depends on the thickness of the salmon, usually it takes ten minutes for one inch of salmon to cook.
For best results don’t overcook the salmon just ensure it is cooked to medium rate and should be tender inside. Over-cooking is one of the worst thing you can do to a salmon, therefore, you should keep an eye to ensure it does not overcook. Also remember once you remove from the oven, the salmon is still cooking on the baking sheet. Therefore, when the salmon is barely pink it is perfect and ready to be removed from oven.
Another great way of making a pesto baked salmon is to put it on a parcel then foil it. Then add some fruit juices on foil such as lime or lemon juice and maybe some cumin, dill, chili powder then folds the foil at the top to make the package. This to ensure that the juices flow on the salmon to make it tender and succulent.