Easy healthy mashed potatoes recipe loaded with broccoli, mushrooms, garlic and Pecorino Romano cheese. A perfect and healthy side dish for lunch or dinner!
These Instant Pot mashed potatoes are my all-time favorite side dish! They are shockingly good and healthy! Your family is going to love them!
In the Western world mashed potatoes are a perfect side dish for any holiday table or any special occasion like Thanksgiving Day, Christmas or Easter.
Mashed potatoes are always on my weekly menu. You might want to check my Brown butter mashed potatoes, Garlic mashed potatoes or Spinach mashed potatoes. Trust me, they all are seriously good! However, these healthy broccoli mashed potatoes really stand out!
Healthy mashed potatoes (with skin)
Many people want to know whether mashed potatoes are healthy or not. The truth is that it depends on the cooking method and ingredients.
Many people use potatoes without skin. If you are one of them, you should broaden the horizons of your plate and try to make mashed potatoes with skin. It gives so much texture and is full of healthy nutrients that our body needs.
I personally prefer to make potatoes in instant pot because they cook faster. This simply means that pressure-cooking preserves most of nutrients and you get healthy mashed potatoes.
Adding broccoli and mushrooms to mashed potatoes adds a bit of flavor and texture and tons of nutrients too! You can substitute heavy cream for low-fat Greek yogurt if you are on a diet. This will not affect the taste much.
How to make the perfect mashed potatoes
Cut the potatoes. I cook potatoes together with broccoli in my instant pot. Broccoli cooks faster than potatoes. That is why I quarter potatoes. I like to leave the skin on for extra nutrients, but you can peel them. Cutting guarantees that they cook evenly when they are of the same size. Medium potatoes work the best for Instant Pot method.
Saute the garlic until slightly browned and frangrant.
Pressure cook potatoes, garlic and broccoli until fork tender. Don’t cut broccoli into florets as it will cook really fast. Leave it whole or halve.
Mash the potatoes, garlic and broccoli in a food processor until smooth, adding heavy cream (if needed) and cheese. Beat JUST until smooth. Don’t over beat potatoes because they tend to become gooey.
Adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
Can you freeze mashed potatoes?
Absolutely!! These mashed potatoes freeze really well. Cool them completely, transfer to a freezer–safe bag (or airtight container) and freeze up to 3 months.
What goes well this mashed potatoes?
Garlic herb butter roasted chicken- a flavorful juicy chicken recipe.
Mojo chicken- a Cuban recipe
If you make this healthy mashed potatoes be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
Broccoli Mashed Potatoes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4
Easy healthy mashed potatoes recipe loaded with broccoli, mushrooms, garlic and Pecorino Romano cheese. Perfect and healthy side dish for lunch or dinner!
- Vegetable oil-2 tablespoons
- Mushrooms (sliced)- 0.5 pound (250 g)
- Garlic cloves- 6
- Medium potatoes ( with skin and quartered)- 2 lbs (1 kg)
- Medium broccoli ( stem removed and quartered)- 1
- Ground black pepper- 1 teaspoon
- Salt- 1 ½ teaspoon or as needed
- Fresh grated Pecorino Romano- 1 cup
- Heavy cream or half & half - 1 cup
- Butter- 2 tablespoons
- Fresh dill (chopped)- 2 tablespoons
Cooking in Instant Pot:
- Turn on your instant pot and choose "Saute" mode. Set time -/+ for 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable oil to the bowl of the instant pot. When it is hot, add the sliced mushrooms, season with salt and pepper to your liking. Saute for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Then, add the whole garlic cloves and cook for 2 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove to a plate, using a slotted spoon. Cancel "Saute" mode.
- Insert the steam rack and place potatoes and broccoli on the rack. Return the cooked garlic to the bowl of instant pot. Season with salt and black pepper. Pour 1 cup of the water into the pot, close and lock the lid. Select “Pressure Cooker” and set the cooking time for 5 min on "High". When the pot finished cooking, turn the instant pot off. Quickly release the pressure. Open the lid.
- Mash potatoes, garlic and broccoli, using a masher or in a food processor. Gradually add the grated cheese and heavy cream, while mashing. Mash until smooth and then add butter. Adjust salt and black pepper.
- Add the cooked mushrooms and mix again to combine. Garnish with fresh dill leaves or parsley.
Cooking on the stove:
- In a large pot heat vegetable oil. Add the mushrooms and cook until brown. Transfer to a plate. Keep aside.
- In the same pot, cook garlic until slightly browned.
- Add the potatoes to the pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until almost cooked.
- Finally, add the broccoli florets and cook for 5 minutes or until tender enough to pierce with a fork easily.
- Drain the veggies in a colander.
- Proceed to mashing as described above (steps 5-6).
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Instant Pot recipes
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli mashed potatoes, mushroom mashed potatoes, mashed potatoes
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
Leave a Reply