This Roasted Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese is a spicy twist on a classic favorite, it's a perfect balance of heat and richness, with a satisfying crunch.
Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese Recipe
Everyone loves jalapeño poppers, so why not infuse those flavors into another beloved comfort dish? We are huge grilled cheese fans, and we thought they couldn't get any better until we added spicy jalapeños, creamy cream cheese, and crispy bacon! It's the grilled cheese upgrade you never knew you craved.
You can make this delicious sandwich in a skillet as usual or opt for the air fryer for effortless prep.
Ready for more jalapeño popper goodness? Don't miss out on our mouthwatering recipes: Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms, Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cups, Jalapeno Popper Cheese Ball, Air Fryer Jalapeno Popper Wontons, and Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole.
Choosing the Right Ingredients
- Jalapeños: Adjust the spiciness by using more or fewer jalapeños. For a milder flavor, use poblano peppers instead.
- Cream Cheese: If you don't have cream cheese, you can use ricotta cheese or goat cheese.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic is great, but garlic powder can be a substitute if needed.
- Black Pepper: Use freshly ground black pepper for the best flavor.
- Onion Powder: Feel free to use finely minced fresh onions if you don't have onion powder on hand.
- Cheddar Cheese: Use sharp cheddar for a stronger cheese flavor. You can also experiment with your favorite cheeses.
- Monterey Jack Cheese: Similar to cheddar, you can swap this with another cheese you enjoy, like mozzarella or Swiss.
- Bacon: For a meatless version, omit the bacon or substitute it with crispy fried onions.
- Bread: Choose your favorite bread type, whether it's white, whole wheat, sourdough, or a gluten-free option.
- Butter: For a healthier option, use olive oil or cooking spray to grill the sandwiches.
How to Make a Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Preparing this dish is just as easy as making a classic grilled cheese sandwich. The only additional step is roasting the jalapeños to enhance their flavor!
Preheat your air fryer to 350°F. Brush the jalapeños with olive oil all over. Place them in the air fryer basket. Cook for 8-12 minutes, turning them over halfway, until they're cooked. Take them out of the air fryer and let them cool a bit.
In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, garlic, pepper, and onion powder until combined.
After the jalapeños have cooled down, roughly chop them, and gently combine them with the cream cheese mixture.
Spread butter on one side of a slice of bread. On the other side, spread half of the cream cheese mixture. Layer 3 slices of bacon, ¼ cup of cheddar cheese, and ¼ cup of Monterey Jack cheese on top of the cream cheese mixture. Place another slice of bread on top and butter the outside. Repeat these steps with the remaining slices of bread.
Put the buttered sandwich in a skillet and cook it over medium heat, flipping it to toast both sides. This should take approximately 3-5 minutes per side. Once the bread is toasted to your preference, and the cheese is fully melted, your sandwich is done.
Can I Make Roasted Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese in an Air Fryer?
Sure thing! You can make Roasted Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese in an air fryer. Preheat it to 350°F and line the basket with parchment paper. Then, make the sandwich following the instructions below. Air fry it for 5 minutes. After that, flip the sandwiches over and cook for an extra 3 minutes. When they're done, take them out of the air fryer and enjoy right away!
Do I Have to Roast the Jalapeno Peppers?
We couldn't imagine biting into a beautifully grilled sandwich with gooey melted cheese and encountering raw, spicy jalapeno peppers. While raw jalapenos might have worked, we chose to go the extra mile and roasted the peppers beforehand.
What Goes Well With Grilled Cheese Sandwiches?
- Tomato Soup: A classic combination, a warm bowl of tomato soup complements the cheesy goodness of grilled cheese.
- Salad: A fresh garden salad with vinaigrette dressing provides a refreshing contrast to the richness of the sandwich.
- Potato Chips: The satisfying crunch of Potato Chips adds texture to your meal.
- Avocado: Sliced avocado or Guacamole can bring a creamy and buttery element.
- Salsa: A side of Corn and Black Bean Salsa adds a zesty kick to your meal.
- Roasted Vegetables: Roasted or grilled veggies like bell peppers, zucchini, or mushrooms can be a tasty accompaniment.
Storage & Reheating
This dish is at its best when enjoyed right away. The magic of a jalapeño popper grilled cheese lies in the amazing warmth of the crispy bread and the gooey, melty goodness within!
If necessary, you can store your sandwich in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Reheat it on the stovetop to bring back that warm and crispy texture! Just remember, the longer your grilled cheese sits, the more likely the bread will become soggy as the cream cheese mixture seeps into it.
More Delicious Sandwiches
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.