Are you looking for soft, airy with beautiful golden brown blisters flatbread ? This Naan Recipe is sure to be the ONE you need! Goes well with almost everything. It is super easy to make.
Naan is the posterchild of flatbreads! The bakery-style bread is the most popular type of leavened bread in a good number of countries in the Middle East and Asia especially India. Many a time, some gastronomes add garlic to their mix. Little wonder this appealing dish is also popularly referred to as ‘Garlic Naan’. Loved by all and sundry, this versatile bread is one of the easiest types of crust to bake. The easy-to make dough requires less kneading. Just some mixing, raising, rolling and cooking on your stovetop.
This fluffy snack is circular, soft and has lots of blisters. In the medieval times, only the affluent and ‘overclass’ of the society could afford it. Gone are the days when only the rich had the privilege of enjoying this slice of heaven. Everyone can now make this flatbread from the comfort of their homes, including you. This thin bread is so sumptuous. This recipe will show you exactly how to make a wonderful batch from the scratch. Be warned! You will get addicted.
In classic Indian homes, the quintessential light roll is baked on a big iron griddle called ‘tawa’ or an oven made of clay called ‘tandoor’. The good news is that you do not need any of this traditional equipment to prepare this treat that will taste just like the restaurant-style types. A good grill that gets decent amount of heat will give you a pastry that is very crispy-on-the outside, fluffy on the inside and the unique charred flavor that the thin bread is known for. Ingredients which will be incorporated include flour, curd, ghee, black sesame seed and a few others. I used a unique type of flour in the mix because of its high gluten content. The higher the gluten content, the higher the level at which the flatbread takes on the distinctive chewy and very elastic texture.
After baking, serve the oven-fresh bread very hot immediately you brush with ghee. If you are a peanut butter addict, go ahead and slather some of it on the savory snack. The pillowy pastry can also be used to soak up some spicy gravy. Looking for an alternative to tortilla for wraps? Naan will fit in just right. With this tender and flavorful leavened bread, there is so much you can do.
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT NAAN BREAD
NAAN RECIPE ( INDIAN FLATBREAD)
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 mins
- Yield: 4
Are you looking for Soft, Airy with beautiful golden brown blisters flatbread ? This Naan Recipe is sure to be the ONE you need! Goes well with almost everything. It is super easy to make.
- FOR THE DOUGH
- All purpose flower ( Maida)- 3 cups
- Plain yogurt ( Dahi)- ¼ cup
- Ghee (Indian clarified butter)- 2 tbsp., plus more for greasing the skillet
- Lukewarm water- approx. 1 cup.
- Dry Yeast -1 ½ tsp.
- Sugar- ½ tsp.
- Salt- 1 tsp. or to taste.
- FOR THE TOPPING
- Black sesame seeds- 2-3 tbsp. or as needed
- FOR THE GARLIC BUTTER
- Fresh coriander leaves( Dhania)- 3 tbsp, chopped
- Ghee/ Unsalted butter- 2 tbsp.
- Garlic cloves ( minced) -2
- In a medium bowl combine water, yeast and suger. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine together flour and salt, add yogurt, ghee and yeast mixture; combine to form a soft dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead gently for 5-7 minutes or until smooth. Return to the well oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let it rest for 1 hour or until doubled in size and you can see bubbles on the surface.
- Heat an iron grill pan/ skillet.
- Once the dough is doubled , punch down, transfer again to a lightly floured surface and knead 1-2 minutes. Divide the dough into equal portions and shape them into balls. Roll each piece into to a 9 inch/ 22 cm oval shape. Keep the remaining dough balls covered while you are rolling one ball. Sprinkle approx. ½ tsp. of black sesame seeds and press well. Fry each naan 3-4 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Using the tongs, transfer onto the plate, brush each Naan with the herbed ghee. Serve immediately.
- HERBED GHEE FOR TOPPING
- In a small bowl combine ghee, minced garlic and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Flatbread recipes
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: flatbread recipes, naan, bread
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
If you like this Naan Recipe, don't forget to let me know in your comments!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Leave a Reply