These Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cups are a hit with any crowd! They're crispy cups filled with a delicious mix of cream cheese, bacon, jalapeno, cheese, and green onions. Serve them hot from the oven when the cream cheese and cheddar are really gooey.
Nothing beats wonton cups filled with a cheesy jalapeno popper mixture! Everyone loves jalapeno poppers and anything inspired by them, including these delicious appetizers. Don't forget to check out our other favorites like Air Fryer Jalapeno Popper Wontons, Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole, Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers, and Jalapeno Popper Cheese Ball!
Where to Buy Wonton Wrappers?
Wonton wrappers are great for more than just Wonton Soup! You can usually find them in most grocery stores, often near the tofu in the produce section or sometimes in the freezer aisle. If you can't find them, be sure to ask someone at the store, as they often have them in stock!
✅Ingredients For Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cups
- Wonton Wrappers: These thin sheets of dough crisp up beautifully when baked, providing the perfect crunchy base for the cups. You can find them in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores, often near tofu or Asian ingredients.
- Cream Cheese (Softened): Softening the cream cheese beforehand makes it easier to mix with other ingredients for a smooth consistency.
- Sour Cream: Adds a tangy flavor to the filling, complementing the heat of the jalapenos and the richness of the cheese. It also contributes to the creamy texture.
- Bacon (Cooked & Crumbled): Provides a smoky, savory element to the cups.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: Adds a sharp, cheesy flavor and melts well, making a gooey texture in the filling. Cheddar's bold taste stands up well against the spicy jalapenos. Substitutions: Pepper Jack Cheese, Monterey Jack, Colby, or a Mexican cheese will work too.
- Jalapenos (Seeded and Chopped): The key ingredient for the 'popper' aspect, jalapenos add a spicy kick. Removing the seeds and membranes can reduce the heat for a milder flavor.
- Green Onions (Chopped): These provide a mild onion flavor with a hint of freshness. The green color also adds a nice visual appeal to the filling.
- Cumin Powder: Offers a warm, slightly earthy and spicy flavor, complementing the overall taste profile of the jalapeno poppers.
- Salt and Pepper: Used to season the filling to taste.
🔪How to Make These Crispy Baked Wonton Cups
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
Spray the muffin pan lightly with cooking spray. Then, press wonton wrappers into the muffin cups to form a small cup shape. Bake them for 8 minutes or until the edges turn lightly browned. Take out of the oven and let it cool for a while.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese, chopped jalapenos, green onions, cumin, salt, and pepper.
Put the cream cheese mixture into each wonton cup, and then sprinkle the top with the bacon and cheese you set aside earlier.
Place the muffin pan back in the oven and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes, or until the wonton cups turn golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Allow them to cool for approximately 3 minutes, then serve while they are still warm.
- Crispy Cups: For extra crispy wonton cups, lightly spray the inside of each wonton wrapper with cooking spray or brush them with oil before baking. This will give you a satisfying crunch.
- Jalapeño Handling: When working with jalapeño peppers, wear disposable gloves to avoid transferring the spicy oils to your skin. Be cautious and avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, after handling jalapeños.
- Spice Level: If you prefer a spicier flavor, you can leave some or all of the seeds in the jalapeño peppers when making the filling.
To store leftovers, place them in an airtight container after they have cooled completely. Keep them refrigerated for up to 4 days. When you're ready to enjoy them again, you can reheat them in the oven.
Reheat in the preheated oven to 350°F (175°C) for about 5-7 minutes or until they are heated through and the edges are crispy again.
❗We don't recommend to reheat in a toaster, as the filling and delicate wonton wrappers may not heat evenly and could become too crispy or burn.
To Make Ahead
You can make them in advance by baking the wonton cups until they are crisp and allowing them to cool. Additionally, you can prepare the filling mixture as directed. When you're ready to serve, simply fill and bake them according to the instructions. This allows for a convenient make-ahead option while ensuring they are freshly baked when served.
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.