The best Jaiba Ceviche (crab salad)! It is very flavorful and refreshing. Loaded with delicious crab meat, lime juice, cherry tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, onion and cucumber. It is a perfect healthy summer meal!
What is jaiba
Jaiba (ˈxai-ba) is a spanish word and refers to a freshwater blue crab. The term “jaiba” is commonly used in Central America and Mexico, while other Latin American countries use “cangrejo “instead of jaiba. Both words mean crab.
Crab Ceviche ingredients
- Crab Meat: The classic jaiba ceviche is made with the meat of freshwater blue crabs. But you can use any canned or cooked crab meat for this recipe. Be sure to drain the canned crab meat before adding to the salad. For a budget-friendly ceviche, use imitation crab meat (kani).
- Crab sticks: I love to use a combination of crab meat and kani. However, you can make this salad using either crab meat or crab sticks.
- Lime juice: It is one of the key ingredients in any ceviche. Freshly squeezed lime juice helps to balance all the flavors and gives brightness to the salad. It also prevents the avocado from turning brown. Please don’t use bottled lime juice, it won’t work for this recipe.
- Tomatoes: I prefer to use cherry tomatoes because they have a slightly sour taste. Regular tomatoes will work well as well.
- Onion: Red onions work best for salads and salsas as they have a mild flavor and bright color. If you don’t have them on hand, use white or yellow onions.
- Fresh cilantro: It is an essential herb of Mexican cooking. The herb gives freshness and complements to the salad.
- Jalapeno: If you can’t get fresh jalapeno, use canned ones or leave it out.
- Cucumber: Adds the crunchiness.
- Avocado: To prevent it from turning brown, drizzle generously with extra lime or lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper
How to make crab ceviche
- In a large bowl mix together the crab meat, imitation crab sticks, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, cilantro, onion, lime juice and jalapeno. I recommend to drizzle avocado with extra lime or lemon juice before adding to other ingredients. This will prevent it from turning brown.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Enjoy this Mexican style ceviche with tortilla chips.
How long does it last
Ceviche is best the day it was made. However, you can refrigerate the leftovers. It will last for 1-2 days if stored properly. The texture will not be the same the next day, yet it will be delicious. You can add the chopped avocado right before serving for the best quality.
Jaiba vs Cangrejo
Both words refer to crabs. Jaibas have a bigger body and small hands; they are blue in color, and are freshwater crabs. In many Latin American countries jaibas are used for many dishes as these crabs are tastier and meatier than other species. Cangrejos have smaller bodies and bigger hands and live in saltwater.
How to serve Jaiba Crab Salad
You can enjoy ceviche in so many ways.
- Jaiba ceviche stuffed avocado
- Serve it with tortilla chips
- Ceviche tostadas
- As a filling for taco shells
- Serve it as a salad
- As an appetizer in a glass
Jaiba Ceviche Recipe video
If you enjoy this Jaiba Ceviche video, please subscribe to my YouTube channel (thank you for subscribing). Want to be the first to know when I post a new video? Make sure to click the BELL icon.
Jaiba Ceviche Recipe Variations
- Heat: Add 1-2 tablespoons of Mexican hot sauce like Cholula or Tapatio.
- Other veggies: Add bell peppers or corn to make it more vibrant.
- Garlic: For another depth of flavor, add the finely chopped garlic, about 1-2 cloves.
- Oil: It will add some richness. Add 2-3 tablespoons.
More Latin recipes
If you make this jaiba ceviche be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!