Horchata is a creamy, perfectly refreshing and delicious Mexican drink. It is easy to make and you will need just a few ingredients you most likely have. It is made with cinnamon, long white rice and homemade almond milk. Vegan, dairy free and gluten free. Horchata goes really well with your favorite Mexican dishes like Chicken Fajitas or Chicken Enchiladas.
WHAT IS HORCHATA?
Horchata is a Mexican cinnamon flavoured drink made of long white rice and milk with a splash of vanilla and then sweetened with white sugar to your liking. It is a summer beverage, that’s why it is always served with ice cubes.
I am sure that most of you have tried it in Mexican restaurants and fell in love with it. But, trust me, homemade horchata tastes better because restaurant horchata is made of store-bought powder. Really want to achieve the authentic taste? Try to make this cooling beverage at home. It is very easy!
What is horchata made of?
Agua fresca horchata is made of healthy ingredients that make it a satisfying healthy beverage.
Long grain white rice: It gives the most authentic Mexican taste to the drink. It doesn’t dominate, I should say it is quite neutral and allows cinnamon dominate and shine through. Can I make horchata with basmati rice? Yes, I tried it and the result was good and my husband liked it most. Rice flavour will be very pronounced and beverage will be very aromatic. So if you have only basmati rice in your pantry, use it!
Homemade Almond milk: The recipe calls for homemade almond milk, that tastes much better that store bought. And if your milk was sweetened with dates or honey, you can cross out white sugar in the ingredients section, horchata will be naturally sweetened. Cow’s milk and condensed milk will work also.
Cinnamon sticks: I don’t recommend to use more than 2 sticks, otherwise it will completely overpower the drink. You can start with 1 stick and later add a pinch of ground cinnamon. I found that when I add 2 sticks all the flavors are well balanced. You can purchase cinnamon sticks in Mexican, Arabic or Asian supermarkets or even at Amazon.
Granulated White Sugar: If you use homemade almond milk that was sweetened with dates, you most likely won’t use it at all. Otherwise, add sugar gradually. I found that ½ cup was perfect for me.
Vanilla extract and powder: Cinnamon+vanilla+brown sugar is a classic combination. But vanilla extract works really well for this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE HORCHATA
- Soak: Leave rice and cinnamon sticks in water for 7-10 hours or overnight.
- Blend: Add the soaked rice, cinnamon sticks, almond milk, vanilla powder and sugar to a high speed blender and blend until ground. If your blender can’t fit all the almond milk, add just half and add another half after straining.
- Strain: Strain the mixture using a cheesecloth or a nut milk bag, then stir in vanilla extract and more sugar if needed.
- Blend: Blend uncooked rice, cinnamon sticks, vanilla powder and sugar in a high speed blender.
- Soak: Cover the ground mixture and refrigerate for at least 5-6 hours or even overnight.
- Strain: Strain the mixture using a cheesecloth or a nut milk bag, then stir in vanilla extract and more sugar to your liking.
Horchata is a summer refreshing milk, serve it with cold ice.
Is this Horchata Dairy free?
Yes. The recipe calls for almond milk. Coconut milk can be used as well.
Can I make Horchata Nut Free?
Yes, just substitute almond milk for flax milk, coconut milk or simply use cow’s milk.
How many Calories in a glass of Horchata?
Horchata is amazingly healthy drink, it is rich phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, contains vitamins E and C. And best of all 1 cup ( 100 ml ) has only 34 kcal.
Do I need to refrigerate Horchata?
Yes! You should refrigerate it once it is done. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 7 days. Don’t forget to give it a good stir before serving.
OTHER DRINKS TO TRY.
HOW TO MAKE HORCHATAPrint
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2
Horchata is a creamy, perfectly refreshing and delicious Mexican drink. It is easy to make and you will need just a few ingredients you most likely have. It is made with cinnamon, long white rice and homemade almond milk. Vegan, dairy free and gluten free.
- Long grain white rice ( soaked overnight)-1 cup
- Cinnamon sticks- 2
- Homemade Almond milk / store-bough-6 cups
- Granulated white sugar- ½ cup, adjust depending on your taste
- Vanilla extract-1 tbsp.
- Ground cinnamon-¼ tbsp.
- Soak white rice and cinnamon sticks in a bowl of cold water for 7-10 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Drain the rice.
- Blend the soaked rice, cinnamon sticks, white sugar, almond milk, vanilla powder in a high speed blender for 1-2 minutes until finely pulverized.
- Strain out using a cheesecloth or a nut bag. I used the cheesecloth. Take a large bowl, place the cheesecloth over it, pour horchata, gather up the cheesecloth and compress it firmly to get as much liquid as you can.
- Stir in vanilla extract and adjust sugar to your liking.
- Transfer to a large jar and refrigerate if you don't plan to serve it immediately.
- Always shake or give a good stir before serving.
- Serve with ice.
- Add unsoaked rice, cinnamon sticks, white sugar, almond milk, vanilla powder to your high speed blender and process until finely ground.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 5-6 hours.
- Proceed with steps 4, 5,6, 7 from the first method. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 100 ml
- Calories: 34 kcal
- Sugar: 4.64 g
- Fat: 0.84 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.33 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 0.42 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
Keywords: horchata, how to make horchata, horchata recipe, drinks, vegan
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
OTHER DRINK RECIPES
Leave a Reply