These balsamic chicken breasts baked in oven are incredibly juicy and delicious. Seasoned with herbs and garlic, smothered in a tomato balsamic sauce and topped with melty mozzarella cheese. It doesn’t get any better!
This is a great way to make chicken breasts in the oven for dinner. Serve over spaghetti pasta.
It’s hands down one of our favorite chicken recipes. Chicken breasts are baked on the bed of grape tomatoes and red onion, and get so much flavor from them. The balsamic tomato sauce is out of this world! Sop it up with Italian focaccia bread. The melty mozzarella cheese makes this dish the star of any dinner table. Plus, it’s all done in one pan (dish) and clean-up is a breeze. An easy and healthy chicken recipe your whole family will love!
Baked Balsamic Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken breasts: You will need boneless and skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. Get fresh or frozen (make sure to thaw them completely before using).
- Olive oil: We like olive oil, but unsalted butter will work also well.
- Seasonings: I included Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and dried oregano in the recipe below.
- Garlic cloves: We highly recommend to mince garlic. It has a stronger taste than chopped garlic.
- Cherry or grape tomatoes: Both cherry and grape tomatoes are sweet and will work well.
- Red onion: It has a mild flavor and bright hue.
- Balsamic vinegar: If you don’t have it on hand, use red wine vinegar and maple syrup. The ratio is 4:1 red wine vinegar to maple syrup or honey. Another great option is pomegranate molasses.
- Brown sugar: Honey or maple syrup also work well.
- Mozzarella cheese: Use shredded mozzarella or slices.
- Parsley or basil to garnish.
How to Bake Chicken Breasts
- Season chicken breasts with salt, crack pepper, Italian seasoning and dried oregano; add garlic and rub all over each chicken breast. Drizzle with olive oil. It helps the seasoning stick to the chicken and adds a ton of flavor.
- Arrange tomatoes and onion around and under the chicken.
- In a cup mix together the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Pour over the chicken breasts. The mixture works as a meat tenderizer and adds a fantastic flavor.
- Bake in the preheated oven to 220° C (430°F). How long to bake chicken breast without drying it out? How do you know when it’s cooked through? You will need to bake chicken breasts for 20-25 minutes. The cooking time will vary, depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. Once it is 165˚F (74˚C), the chicken is done. Don’t over bake it because there is nothing worse than dry and hard to swallow chicken.
- Broil. Remove the chicken from the oven and top with mozzarella cheese. Broil for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.
Temperature for baking chicken breasts
We prefer baking chicken at 220°C |430°F. It is an ideal temperature for juicy chicken breasts. Low and slow roasting will dry them out and they will taste like rubber.
how long to bake chicken breast in oven?
At the mentioned above temperature, you will need to bake them for 20-25 minutes. Larger chicken breasts take longer. Cooking time will depend on how hot your oven is, and how thick your chicken breasts.
Sides for Balsamic Chicken Baked in Oven
The beauty of this dish is that you can eat it plain with focaccia bread. Another great option is to serve it over spaghetti with pan juices. Mashed Cauliflower or Steamed Broccoli are low carb sides. Try it also with our Mediterranean Fattoush Salad. It is divine!
More delicious chicken recipes
Hellmann’s parmesan crusted chicken
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
Longhorn Parmesan Crusted Chicken
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
Balsamic Chicken Baked in Oven
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4
These balsamic chicken breasts baked in oven are incredibly juicy and delicious. Seasoned with herbs and garlic, smothered in a tomato balsamic sauce and topped with melty mozzarella cheese.
- Chicken breasts (skinless)-4, about 2 lbs (1 kg)
- Olive oil-3 tablespoons
- Italian seasoning-1 teaspoon
- Dried oregano -½ teaspoon
- Garlic cloves (minced)- 1 ½ tablespoons ( 5-6 cloves)
- Crack pepper and salt-as needed
- Cherry or grape tomatoes (halved)-3 cups
- Half of red onion (sliced)
- Balsamic vinegar-¼ cup
- Brown sugar-1 tablespoon
- Mozzarella cheese ( shredded or slices)-¾ cup or 8 slices
- Fresh parsley or basil ( finely chopped)- 2 tablespoons
- Preheat your oven to 220° C (430°F).
- Place chicken breasts in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Season with salt, cracked pepper, Italian seasoning, dried oregano and minced garlic. Rub the garlic and spices all over each chicken breast. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Arrange tomatoes and onion on the bottom of the baking dish and around the chicken.
- Mix together the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a cup. Pour over the chicken breasts. Flip each chicken breast over to evenly coat in the sauce.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through and no pink in the middle . The cooking time may vary, depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
- Remove from the oven and top the chicken with mozzarella cheese. Broil for 4-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh basil or parsley.
- Serve over pasta. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Category: Chicken recipes
- Cuisine: Italian
- Calories: 408kcal
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 984mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Protein: 48g
- Cholesterol: 157mg
Keywords: balsamic chicken, baked chicken breasts, chicken recipes
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
Leave a Reply