This sweet and sour prawns come together really quickly and are full of deliciously tangy prawns, crispy vegetables and sweet and sour sauce. This is better than your local takeout and healthier too!
The pineapple in this recipe really is a secret hero. Pineapple has such a delicious, distinctively tangy-sweet flavor that you just can’t beat. The fuzzy feeling you get on your tongue when eating pineapple comes from a particular enzyme called bromine. This enzyme tenderizes meat, which is why pineapple is often used in marinades to help really make your meat nice and tender. It has an awesome, delicious flavor that really enhances other fruits and vegetables. We think the pineapple in this recipe really helps bring out the best in the prawns, but why not try it yourself and see?
Sweet and Sour Prawns
This is a tasty, easy, shrimp entree that is sure to turn heads. The fried prawns smell and look almost as good as they taste… and they taste pretty amazing.
This is an easy entree to make at home and it’s ready in about thirty minutes. Perfect for short-notice guests and bringing some excitement to your weeknight dinners. An awesomely tangy sweet and sour sauce brings the best out of your shrimp, veggies, and pineapple.
You’ll need a few key ingredients to get the most out of this fantastic dish.
How to Make Sweet and Sour Prawns
- Season prawns with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow dish mix together the flour and cornstarch.
- In a separate shallow dish add eggs and whisk.
- Dredge each prawn in the flour mixture, then dip in the whisked egg, then again coat in the flour mixture.
- In a wok or pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Once it reaches 350°F (177°C), add the battered shrimp and fry until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Work in batches not to overcrowd the pan. Transfer to a plate. Fry the next batch.
- Discard the oil from wok and carefully wipe the inside of the pan with paper towels.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil and heat the wok over medium-high heat.
- Once it is hot, add the garlic and onions, stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the peppers and cook further for 1 minute.
- Add in the pineapple and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the prawn and the sweet and sour sauce, stir to coat and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
The naturally sweet-and-savory flavor of these perfectly cooked prawns is beautifully complemented by our batter, veggies, pineapple and of course the sauce.
You can serve this reliable restaurant style dinner with a side of rice. Steamed Jasmine Rice or Fried Rice would be absolutely perfect. A side of crispy cheese wontons wouldn’t go astray, either. It tastes better than anything you’ll get at a restaurant or in your takeout order, and it’s a quick, easy meal you can serve after a busy day to help you relax. What an awesome treat!
🦐 More Delicious Shrimp Recipes
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.