Delicious and crispy Shake N Bake chicken in the air fryer! It’s healthier than most fried chicken recipes because we can use less oil, and it’ll be ready for lunch, dinner, or a lovely summer picnic in no time. Say goodbye to deep frying because air fryers are so much easier to use, and easier to clean.
Air Fryer Shake ‘N Bake Chicken
With Shake ‘N Bake, you can easily prepare your chicken. The savory breading is in a bag, ready for shaking. Conveniently, using the air fryer means we’ll cook with less oil. Less oil means fewer calories and a healthier take on fried chicken.
Shake ‘N Bake has been around for ages. You’ve probably tried it with pork, fish, vegetables, and just about anything that benefits from breading and seasoning. Effectively, it’s pre-seasoned breadcrumbs in a bag that you “shake” onto the food you’re seasoning before baking. Hence the name.
You can make your fried chicken in batches, keeping it warm in the oven, if you’re feeding a larger amount of people.
Fried chicken, typically, is only one component of authentic Southern soul food. You want to serve up a big family-style feed, and include a few choice side dishes. Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes, or a Cucumber and Tomato Salad are great. You could use any leftovers to make an awesome Ranch chicken salad. You could also make a pasta salad or a Potato Salad, as time honored side dishes to accompany your fried chicken.
Ingredients and Variations
- Chicken: We’re opting to use boneless breasts for this recipe. You can use drumsticks, thighs, or tenders if you want, however. They will have different textures because of the differing fat content in the various parts of the chicken. Your cooking time will depend mostly on the size of the pieces you’re cooking, so we encourage you to consult your air fryer guide for the exact times and temperatures. Always try to cook with pieces of similar size so they cook evenly in the same amount of time.
- Seasoning: Shake ‘N Bake is ready to go onto your chicken straight out of the packet. If you want to add some extra zing and zest, some taco seasoning, chili powder, or even grated parmesan cheese can take this to the next level.
How To Make Shake ‘N Bake Chicken in the Air Fryer
One of the reasons that air fryers have become so popular recently is how easy they are to use.
To make your air fryer Shake ‘N Bake chicken, follow the below steps.
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F |193°C. First, moisten your chicken and shake each piece separately in your Shake ‘N Bake bag with the seasoned breading.
- Next, place your seasoned chicken in the air fryer. Put a sheet of parchment paper in the bottom before doing so.
- Cook the chicken for 10-12 minutes! Flip the chicken halfway through cooking.
- Using a meat thermometer, test the chicken’s internal temperature. Chicken is cooked through at an internal temperature of 165 F. Be sure to let the chicken rest before serving or slicing it! This allows the juices in the chicken to settle throughout the flesh, keeping the chicken tender and juicy.
Air Fryer Chicken Tips & Tricks
- Preheat your air fryer before adding food to the tray. The blast of hot air upon the uncooked chicken entering the air fryer will quickly crisp up the outside of the chicken, allowing the inside to remain moist and tender through the cooking process.
- If you want to make yourself some extra juicy Shake ‘N Bake chicken, you should moisten your breasts with mayo, buttermilk, or an egg wash. Do this before breading. It will also help the bread to stick to your chicken.
You can keep any leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for up to four days. You can slice the cold chicken and serve it on a salad or in a sandwich, or alternatively reheat it in the air fryer.
There are plenty of ways to use leftover chicken, such as in a salad, sandwich, or wrap, or even in an omelette!
You could also try freezing the leftover chicken. Simply place the portions in a labelled ziplock bag, and place the bag in a freezer. It will keep in the freezer for up to ten weeks, or two and a half months.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Nuggets
Frozen Fish Sticks in Air Fryer
Sweet and Sour Chicken Air Fryer
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
Shake and Bake Chicken in Air Fryer
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
Delicious and crispy Shake N Bake chicken in the air fryer! It’s healthier than most fried chicken recipes because we can use less oil.
- 2 boneless and skinless large chicken breasts, cut horizontally to make 4 fillets
- Water to moisten the chicken
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 packet ( 4.75 oz) Shake N Bake coating mix
- Preheat your air fryer.
- Add Shake N Bake to a bag and drizzle in the oil. Seal the bag and shake until the oil is fully incorporated.
- Fill a medium bowl with water. Work with one chicken fillet at a time, moisten the chicken with water and allow any excess to drip off. This will help the mixture adhere to the chicken.
- One at a time, add the chicken to the bag of Shake N Bake mixture. Add one fillet, seal the bag and shake until the meat is completely coated in breadcrumbs. Open the bag and transfer the chicken to the air fryer basket lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining pieces. You might need to cook chicken in batches (depends on the size of your chicken fillets).
- Air fry for 10-12 minutes at 380°F |193°C. Flip the chicken halfway through cooking. The chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165°F| 73°C.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Air fryer recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 367kcal
- Sodium: 657mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Protein: 23g
- Cholesterol: 72mg
Keywords: shake and bake chicken in air fryer, air fryer shake and bake chicken breast, chicken breast recipes
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
Leave a Reply