This Mashed Potatoes recipe is a perfect guide to make the fluffiest, smoothest, lightest mashed potatoes ever. The whole family will love this easy side dish.
You might want to check out Instant Pot Mashed potatoes. It is a super quick way to make mashed potatoes.
The mashed potatoes are probably one of the simplest recipes, quite easy to cook with fewer ingredients. For Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving or any special occasion, the recipe is ideal and would definitely impress those coming around. The recipe, further, gives you the option of making browned butter for your mashed potatoes. Hmm! Yummy!
Potatoes have become an important part of various delicacies and recipes in many countries. With a starch composition of about 85 per cent, the crop is regarded as a starchy tuber crop. Potatoes can be boiled and consumed or used to prepare popular recipes of potato which includes French Fries, Poutine, Potato chips and mashed potatoes, my focus here.
HOW TO MAKE MASHED POTATOES ( TIPS)
Well, everyone has their own choice of ingredients and cooking style, however, here are some tips to help you make the finest mashed potatoes.
- Purchase the best masher: There are different brands of masher around with different features and price. While your budget is a major factor, it will make much sense to acquire the best. You can purchase mashers from brands such as OXO, KitchenAid, Zyliss, etc. You can also make use of a food mill.
- Warm up the cream and butter before use: The aim is to achieve the fluffiest mashed potatoes recipe, therefore, warming the cream and butter will facilitate proper blending.
- Do not overcook: Potatoes cook quite fast and might be at the risk of overcooking. It’s ideal to keep checking the potatoes. Too much water should also be avoided. Also, it is good to cut your potatoes and arrange them with the larger ones at the bottom of the pot. After boiling, allow it to drain for some minutes.
- Start boiling with cold water: It is important not to start the boiling with hot water. Using hot water puts your potatoes at the risk of irregular boiling, such that the outer portions are soften before the inner portions.
- Don’t over-mix: Due to the high starch level of the potato used for this recipe, it is important you do not mix the potatoes excessively. Over-mixing will definitely result into a sticky and gummy potato.
The best potatoes for making mashed potatoes
Yeah, there are different types of potatoes such as the Yukon gold, King Edward, Russet, Bintje and more. However, for this recipe, the best type of potatoes are those with higher starch content – the Yukon gold and the Russet types.
WHAT GOES WELL WITH MASHED POTATOES
Depending on choice, there are lot of toppings you can used for this recipe. Swedish Meatballs, Salisbury Steak, Chicken Stroganoff, Roasted Asparagus or Steamed broccoli. The options are endless.
More Mashed Potatoes recipes:
MASHED POTATOES RECIPEPrint
BROWNED BUTTER MASHED POTATOES RECIPE
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 6
This Mashed Potatoes recipe is a perfect guide to make the fluffiest, smoothest, lightest mashed potatoes ever. The whole family will love this classic Russian dish.
- FOR MASHED POTATOES
- Potatoes ( peeled and cut) - 1.5 kg or 3 pounds
- Warm heavy cream- 300 ml or ½ cup
- Salt - to taste
- Black pepper- to taste
- Fresh parsley( finely chopped)- 2 tbsp.
- FOR BROWNED BUTTER
- Unsalted butter- 100 gm
- Garlic cloves ( minced) -3
- Peel potatoes, cut them into large chunks and place in a large saucepan/ casserole.Cover it with a lid, and boil, half covered, about 20-25 minutes or until tender but not falling apart.
- Meanwhile prepare the browned butter ( beurre noisette). In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Once butter starts foaming, add the minced garlic cloves and reduce the heat to low. Continue stirring butter until its color becomes toasty brown. When you can smell nutty aroma,remove the pan from the heat and transfer the browned butter to a bowl immediately.
- Drain water completely from saucepan/casserole with potatoes and leave them in the saucepan/casserole for about 5-10 minutes.
- The secret of the fluffiest, smoothest, lightest mashed potatoes is FOOD MILL.
- Set a food mill fitted with the medium die, on top of the saucepan. Add 1 cup of potatoes at a time to the mill. Once you mashed all the potatoes, add warm cream , salt and pepper; combine.
- Add the parsley and drizzle with browned butter. Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: mashed potato recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 398 kcal
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 171 mg
- Fat: 26 g
- Saturated Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 72 mg
Keywords: mashed potatoes, brown butter mashed potatoes
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Leave a Reply