Salisbury Steak with mushroom Gravy is a classic comfort food that is incredibly delicious and easy to make. Salisbury steak meatballs are pan seared until golden brown and then cooked in an absolutely delicious mushroom gravy!
What is Salisbury steak?
Salisbury steak is a dish originated from the United States and is made of seasoned ground beef meatballs/ patties that are pan seared and then cooked in a rich mushroom gravy. It is a comfort food at its best! It is named in honor of J. H. Salisbury, an American physician who promoted meat-centered diet.
GROUND BEEF RECIPES
If you have ground beef in your fridge, making a dinner will be always a breeze. You can make Meatloaf, Stuffed meatloaf, pelmeni or Swedish meatballs. The options are countless. Ground beef recipes usually take not more than 1 hour and you get a flavorful and delicious comfort food. If you have never heard about Salisbury steak, I highly recommend to try it. You will love it!
SALISBURY STEAK INGREDIENTS
To make this homemade Salisbury steak, you will need simple ingredients.
- Ground beef: You don’t want your steaks swim in grease, right? Stick to 80-90% lean beef. It provides the best result.
- Bread crumbs: Both panko or Italian style bread crumbs will work well. Alternatively you can use 2 slices of bread.
- Half & half: I like to soak bread crumbs in half and half, it improves the taste of the steaks and makes the gravy rich. But milk will work well too.
- Onion: Please grate onion or chop in a food processor with a chopping blade. It helps to release more flavor and guarantees that the onion will be fully cooked, you won’t feel it in steaks.
- Garlic cloves: Also mince them instead of chopping.
SALISBURY STEAK SEASONING
- Yellow mustard and Dijon mustard: I like the combination of these two mustards. But you can use either regular yellow American mustard or Dijon too.
- Worcestershire sauce: Significantly improves the flavor.
- Liquid smoke: Adds the amazing smoky taste to the Salisbury steaks.
- Ketchup: The recipe calls for ketchup but even tomato sauce can be used. If you don’t have it, just leave it out.
- Italian seasoning
- Black pepper and salt
HOW TO MAKE SALISBURY STEAK
Here is how to make Salisbury steak in pictures. I recommend to watch a quick video also. I included methods for crockpot and Instant Pot below.
CROCK POT SALISBURY STEAK
- Place the diced onion and sliced mushrooms in the crockpot.
- Combine all the ingredients for Salisbury steak, then form 10-12 patties/balls and pan sear them over high heat in a non stick pan until golden brown on both sides.
- Place steaks over the mushrooms.
- Combine remaining ingredients for the brown gravy except all-purpose flour (minced garlic, beet broth, melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, bbq sauce and black pepper). Pour over the steaks and cook on LOW for 5 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours.
- Combine all-purpose flour with a few tablespoons of water. Add into the crockpot and cook another 30 minutes on HIGH.
INSTANT POT SALISBURY STEAK
- Combine all the ingredients for Salisbury steak, then form 10-12 patties/balls and pan sear them over high heat in a non stick pan until golden brown on both sides, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Place mushrooms and onions into the Instant Pot.
- Layer Salisbury steaks over mushrooms.
- Dissolve flour in the beef broth and then combine with the remaining ingredients (minced garlic, melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, bbq sauce and black pepper).
- Pour over the steaks. Close the lid, chose pressure cooker and set time +/- for 7 minutes.
- Allow quick release. Serve over mashed potatoes or steamed jasmine rice.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SALISBURY STEAK
- Steamed Broccoli
- Instant Pot Jasmine Rice
- Roasted Asparagus
- Cauliflower Rice
- Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Aloo Palak
If you make this Salisbury steak be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating!
SALISBURY STEAK RECIPEPrint
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
[ess_grid alias="beef recipes"]