These copycat Popeyes biscuits are incredibly soft, flaky and buttery. It is the only buttermilk biscuit recipe you will ever need! Ready in 30 minutes.
Though Popeyes is famous for their spicy Chicken Sandwich, their buttermilk biscuits are really amazing. So buttery and delicious!
Copycat Popeyes biscuits
I should admit that I love the Southern food. Fried chicken and buttermilk biscuits are my absolute favourite. Though there are lots of places to enjoy them here, including Popeyes, nothing beats homemade buttermilk biscuits.
I use this Copycat Popeyes biscuit recipe every time I find myself craving biscuits. The recipe requires dough, but don’t be intimidated! It is a ridiculously easy recipe that comes together in 30 minutes. You will need simple ingredients that you most likely already have in your kitchen. Let’s dive in!
What are the ingredients in Popeyes biscuits
- Flour: You will need all-purpose flour for this recipe. I highly recommend to use measuring cups not to mess up with the amount.
- Baking powder and soda: They help these biscuits become extra tall and soft.
- Buttermilk: When using buttermilk, make sure that it is cold. Both full fat and low fat buttermilk will work well for this recipe. You can make buttermilk at home by mixing ¾ cup of milk with 3-4 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar.
- Butter: It should be very COLD, otherwise the biscuits won’t be tall and flaky. I like to freeze butter for 15-20 minutes before dicing and adding to flour. Once the biscuits are baked, brush the tops with extra melted butter.
- Sugar: You can use sugar or honey. I use 1 tablespoon just to add some sweetness to these biscuits. You can also leave it out.
- Salt: Use regular iodized table salt or sea salt.
How to make popeyes biscuits
- Whisk together flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Add the cold cubed butter into the flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter or potato masher, cut the butter into small pieces until it resembles coarse meal. If case you don’t have a pastry cutter and potato masher, use a fork.
- Stir in cold buttermilk, using a spatula. Once the dough comes together, transfer on a lightly floured surface.
- Knead and stretch it to make a rough rectangle.
- Fold the dough in thirds (known as letter fold). It gives 3 layers of butter. Repeat the letter fold 2-3 times. Finally, pat down the dough to make a rectangle (1/2-inch thick).
- Using a 2.5-inch cookie cutter, cut out the dough rounds. If you don’t have it, use a drinking glass, it works really well. Re-use any dough scraps. Simply gather them and pat down to make a rectangle, and cut. You should get about 10-12 biscuits in total.
- Place the biscuits on the baking sheet and brush the tops with buttermilk.
- Bake at 450°F (230°C) for 17-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool down for 5 minutes before serving.
Popeyes Biscuits Recipe Tips
- Use COLD Ingredients: Keeping your ingredients cold will make a huge difference in this recipe. You won’t get flaky and super soft biscuits with warm or melted butter. Be sure to use very cold buttermilk as well. Take them from the fridge just before adding to the flour mixture. If it is very warm at the place you live, put the formed biscuits in the freezer for 20 minutes before baking.
- Don’t overwork the dough: Try to fold and roll the dough gently otherwise biscuits won’t rise.
- The letter fold makes these popeyes buttermilk biscuits super flaky. You will need to repeat it 2-3 times.
- Leave some space between the biscuits on the baking sheet. This will help them rise properly.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with buttermilk. If you like crispy tops like us, don’t skip this step!
How to store biscuits
Place the biscuits in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out. You can store them for 2 days at room temperature or refrigerate for 5-6 days. Reheat them in the oven or in the microwave.
Can I freeze buttermilk biscuits
Yes! These biscuits freeze really well. You can place them in a freezer-safe container, wrap it with plastic wrap, write down the date and freeze for 2 months. Alternatively, wrap individual biscuits.
How many calories in Popeyes biscuits
There are 137 calories per biscuit. However, it may vary depending on the products you use.
How to serve Popeyes biscuits
Love copycat recipes? Try these!!
If you try this Popeyes buttermilk biscuits recipe, please let me know, leave a comment and rate it.Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!