This easy apple crumble (apple crisp) is seriously amazing! Cinnamon tender apples baked in a delicious syrup underneath a perfectly buttery, crumbly oatmeal topping. True comfort food and crowd pleaser!
It is a quick and easy desserts that you can eat for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you like warm dessert, this apple crisp is definitely a keeper! It has all the flavors of apple pie, but requires minimal efforts.
Apple crisp vs apple crumble
A crumble is a baked fruit dessert when a fruit mixed with spices, sugar and flour to thicken the syrup. Apple crisp or apple crumble are very similar, the only difference is the topping. Apple crisp topping contains oats that make it really crispy. While crumble topping requires ingredients like brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, and flour. No oats! As a result the topping is denser.
I have tried many apple crumbles in the past, most of them had a very dry filling or were too watery.
I have been making this recipe for years and my family and friends really love it! It is perfect every time I make it!
Best apples for Apple Crumble
Apples are a key ingredient in this recipe. I highly recommend to use Granny Smith apples. They are crunchy and tart and are go-to apples for baking. If you don’t like acidic apples, feel free to use sweet apples like Braeburn. They hold well in baked desserts. Honeycrisp is another great option.
how to make apple crumble?
It is one of the easiest dessert recipes you can make.
- First, peel and slice your apples. Slice them thinly for a tender filling. You can use a food processor with a slicing blade. The job will be done in 1-2 minutes. And if you like denser and crunchier filling, slice them thicker with a sharp knife.
- Sprinkle the sliced apples with sugars, cinnamon and flour. Add water and combine to coat evenly.
- Mix all the ingredients for the topping and sprinkle over the spiced apples.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) until crispy and apples are cooked to your liking.
Best Apple Crumble Recipe
There are lots of apple crumble recipes in the internet. This recipe is very simple and doesn’t call for fancy ingredients. But, trust me, it really works.
It is delicious and the smell alone (while it is baking) is to die for! Tart Granny apples are a good balance with sweet buttery oatmeal cookie topping. Quick, inexpensive and crowd pleaser! Other reasons to love this apple crisp.
- The filling is not watery and not too dry.
- The crumble topping is crisp and perfectly baked.
If you love crisps, you might want to check Apple Crumble Pie or Banana Blueberry muffins (with crumble topping).
Can you make apple crisp in advance?
Absolutely! Simply assemble it into the prepared baking dish, cover with aluminium foil and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 2 days.
Can you freeze Apple Crumble?
Yes, but I recommend to freeze only the filling. It freezes well up to 4 months.
You can also freeze the baked crumble. Allow to cool it completely, then transfer to a freezer-safe bag and freeze. When ready to use, keep it in the fridge overnight or at room temperature for 3-4 hours. Reheat in the microwave.
If you make this easy apple crisp be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating! I will be happy to hear from you!
German Apple Cake-Apfelkuchen
Easy Apple Crisp ( Apple Crumble)
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8
This easy apple crumble (apple crisp) is seriously amazing! Cinnamon tender apples baked in a delicious syrup underneath a perfectly buttery, crumbly oatmeal topping.
For the Filling
- Medium apples (peeled, cored and sliced)-10
- White sugar-¼ cup
- Light brown sugar- 2 tablespoons
- All-purpose flour- 1 tablespoon
- Ground cinnamon-¾ teaspoon
- Water- ¼ cup
For the Crumb
- Rolled oats or quick-cooking oats- 1 ¼ cup
- All-purpose flour-1 ¼ cup
- Light brown sugar- 1 cup
- Ground cinnamon-1 teaspoon
- Baking powder-¼ teaspoon
- Salt- ½ teaspoon
- Unsalted butter (melted)-¾ cup (180 g)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) with the rack in the middle of the oven. Slightly grease a 9×13-inch (22x 33-cm) baking dish. Keep aside.
- Place the sliced apples into a large bowl, add white sugar, brown sugar, all-purpose flour and cinnamon. Pour in the water and mix well to evenly coat apples. Transfer into a prepared baking dish.
- In another bowl combine the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and melted butter. Mix until the dry ingredients absorb the butter. Sprinkle evenly over the apples.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until the crumb is crispy and golden brown. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: Dessert recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 100 g
- Calories: 136 kcal
- Sugar: 19 g
- Sodium: 28 mg
- Fat: 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.4 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 0.8 g
- Cholesterol: 8 mg
Keywords: apple crumble, apple crisp, easy apple crumble
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
Leave a Reply