Crock pot Mississipi pot roast is the absolutely best and most delicious pot roast you will ever eat! Made with just a few ingredients and slow cooked for melt-in-your mouth goodness. Serve with fresh bread or over mashed potatoes with juices from crock pot, enjoy with nachos or on its own!
What is Mississipi Pot Roast
Mississipi pot roast is a type of pot roast famous for a tender fall apart texture and great flavors. It is a set-it-and -forget-it recipe that’s perfect for busy weeknights. Made with beef roast, ranch mix, sour cream, mayo, lemon juice, pepperoncini peppers and butter. It is super simple. Throw all the ingredients into your crock pot and come back to a delicious dinner. Great for a potluck or a party!
Mississipi Pot Roast Ingredients
- Beef: We like to coat the beef in flour first and pan sear for extra flavor. The flour also helps to thicken the gravy. For a gluten free recipe, leave out the flour and proceed with browning. If you are in a rush, you can skip this step.
- Flour: It helps to thicken the gravy.
- Oil: Use Canola or any vegetable oil you like.
- Pepperoncini: These Italian peppers are commonly used in Mississipi pot roast. If you don’t have them on hand, use pickled banana peppers (add the same amount of peppers) or jalapeno peppers (which are spicier than pepperoncini). Add 4-5 only not to overwhelm your tastebuds.
- Butter: It adds that amazing buttery flavor everybody loves.
- Mayonnaise and sour cream: The ratio is 1:1. You can add 1 tablespoon of buttermilk to thin out the mixture if desired.
- Lemon juice: We prefer lemon juice, but apple cider vinegar will work well too.
- Dried dill: It has a very unique flavor and pairs really well with other ingredients.
- Ranch mix: Use store bought or homemade ranch mix.
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley to garnish
How to Make Mississipi Pot Roast
- Place roast on a tray and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Sprinkle the flour over the roast and massage it into the meat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once it is hot, place the roast and pan sear for 5-6 minutes or until browns. Turn it over and sear on the other side. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the butter and pepperoncini. Cover and set “LOW” for 9-10 hours.
- While the roast heats, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, ranch mix, dill and lemon juice. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the mixture over the roast, cover and continue cooking until fork tender.
- After 9-10 hours, test to adjust the seasoning to your liking.
The Best Cut of Beef to Use
What I like most about Mississipi pot roast is that you can use cheap cuts of meat like chuck roast or any beef roast.
Cooking “low and slow” yields fantastic results. You can cook on "high" too, be sure to reduce the cooking time to prevent overcooking.
Mississippi Pot Roast Instant Pot
If you prefer to make Mississipi pot roast in instant pot, brown the beef, add all the remaining ingredients and 2 cups of beef broth, choose “pressure cook” mode on HIGH and cook for one hour. Allow natural air release.
However, crock pot provides better results in terms of texture and flavor than instant pot.
Is Mississipi Pot Roast Keto?
Leftover Mississippi Pot Roast
Mississipi pot roast is even better the next day because all the flavors will have a chance to blend together.
Soups: We like to use the leftover roast for hearty soups. Simmer in a broth with veggies like celery, potatoes and carrots. You can add tortellini or dumplings for a fancy dinner.
Sandwiches: Another option is to make sandwiches for lunch the next day. Yum!
More Delicious Crock Pot Recipes
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a ★★★★★ rating ! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!