Russian Beef Stroganoff is everything a good comfort food should be. Tender, juicy strips of beef in a creamy, savory sauce served on a bed of noodles. Perfect for any day of the week!
If you are a chicken lover, try Chicken Stroganoff in crock pot!
WHAT IS BEEF STROGANOFF?
This recipe is a classic Russian take on a global favorite. It’s creamy, tart and the meat will melt in your mouth. People believe that the name of this hearty, belly-warming stew comes from the Stroganov family. They were powerful business people in pre-Communist Russia. They funded numerous Russian political and military campaigns. Whatever its linguistic origin, it is eaten not only by Russians and their descendants around the globe, but by endless seas of hungry people who need a meal that can ward off a brutal Russian winter.
It was actually the Chinese who had a role in popularizing beef stroganoff in the United States. Following the fall of Tsarist Russia, when the governments of Russia and China entered into a cultural alliance, the dish was eaten in Chinese restaurants. United States servicemen stationed in China during this period almost certainly brought home a recipe or two for this dish.
BEEF STROGANOFF RECIPE
Today you can try local variations on the Eastern European staple throughout the United States of America. The modern-day American beef stroganoff recipe includes beef, sour cream/cheese cream, mushrooms and onions. But native Russians often experiment with this formula.
RUSSIAN BEEF STROGANOFF
For example, some recipes call for tomato paste or mustard to spice up the stroganoff sauce. It would certainly surprise many American and Chinese stroganoff fans. Although beef stroganoff is most often served outside of Russia on a bed of white rice or pasta, this is far from traditional Russian fare. The reason for this is simple: pasta isn’t native to Russia. It is extremely difficult to grow rice in such a cold, dry climate. Russians generally serve their stroganoff with crisp potato straws, as hardy, durable potatoes thrived in Russian soil and provided a much-needed carbohydrate staple to the Russian peasant diet.
Since this beef stroganoff recipe gives you such a heavy, filling meal, it’s best to save it for wintertime. Another option is to eat when you need slow-burning energy for throughout the day. Beef stroganoff, despite being delicious, is hardly suitable to summer time.
What cut of meat is best for beef Stroganoff?
Ideally you will need a juicy and tender cut to achieve the best results.
I recommend to use boneless rib eye, beef tenderloin or sirloin steak. They all will work well for fast cooking and won’t be dry.
What to serve with beef stroganoff?
Beef Stroganoff with mushroom gravy is usually served over homemade noodles or mashed potatoes. Serve it with Cauliflower Fried Rice for a low carb dinner!
Other Beef recipes you may like:
- Meatloaf with Ritz crackers
- Swedish meatballs
- Mongolian Beef
- Philly Cheesesteak
- Classic Meatloat recipe
If you make this Stroganoff be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6
Russian Beef Stroganoff is everything a good comfort food should be. Tender, juicy strips of beef in a creamy, savory sauce served on a bed of noodles.
- Unsalted Butter- 2 tablespoons
- Sirloin steak or beef tenderloin ( thinly sliced)- 2 lbs (1 kg)
- Large onion ( finely chopped)- 1
- Mushrooms (sliced)- 1 lb (500 gm)
- Garlic cloves ( minced)- 3
- Cornstarch-2 tablespoons
- Beef stock- 3 cups
- Worcestershire sauce- 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper- ½ teaspoon
- Bay leaf-1
- Dry dill-1 teaspoon
- Salt - to taste
- Low fat Cream cheese or sour cream- 200 gm / 1 cup
- Heavy cream-4 tablespoons
- Freshly chopped parsley to garnish- 2 tablespoons
- Fusilli lunghi- 400 gm ( dry weight)- cooked as per instructions on the package
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Add and arrange the beef pieces in a single layer. Cook for 2 minutes or until browned and not red. You might need to cook beef in batches not to overcrowd the pan. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet cook the onion and mushrooms for 6-7 minutes or until browned. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 40 seconds. Stir in the cornstarch and cook another minute, stirring continuously.
- Pour 3 cups of beef stock into the skillet and return the beef. Add dry dill, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaf. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- In a small bowl whisk the cream cheese with 4 tablespoons of heavy cream. Add to the skillet and mix well to avoid any lumps.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions.
- Serve beef stroganoff over the pasta. Enjoy!
a large non-stick pan, a large saucepan
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Pasta recipes
- Cuisine: Russian
- Serving Size: 100 g
- Calories: 149 kcal
- Sugar: 1.35 g
- Sodium: 458 mg
- Fat: 9.45 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 9.98 g
- Cholesterol: 36 mg
Keywords: beef stroganoff, stroganoff, beef recipes, easy beef stroganoff
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
OTHER PASTA RECIPES
Leave a Reply