Philly Cheesesteak made with juicy, tender Rib eye steak, bell peppers, melted Smoky Pepper Jack cheese, caramelized onion, and Portobello mushrooms, served on a toasted garlic butter sandwich bun. Perfect Homemade Authentic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich every time!
Whenever I try something and I love it, immediately I try to re-create it at home like Arabic Shawarma and Burger! Philly cheese steak sandwich is easier to make than you think and can be cooked in one skillet. Crave it? Make it today!
What is a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich?
Philly Cheesesteak is actually not a steak sandwich, it is a sandwich made with frozen and really thinly sliced rib eye steak, caramelized onion, green bell pepper, Portabello mushrooms and American cheese. The place of origin is Philadelphia.
I should say, it is one of our very favorite dinners. If you are a cheesesteak lover like us and you wish to make it in the comfort of your own home, you are in the right place!
Which Cut of Beef is the best for Philly Cheesesteak?
In a classic Philly cheese steak, rib eye steak is used. It is super tender and juicy. However, it is a bit pricey. We tried flank steak and skirt steaks, they worked really well. The secret is to cut your steak super thinly. I know it seems near impossible to do it! But I have my pro-chef tips for you.
HOW TO CUT STEAK SUPER THINLY?
- Cover the steak and freeze it for 30-40 minutes. It will help to firm it up and slicing will be really easy.
- A sharp knife is one of the most important tools you can have in your kitchen, use it to slice beef steak thinly against the grain with less brute force. It takes about 10 minutes.
WHAT IS THE BEST CHEESE FOR A PHILLY CHEESE STEAK SANDWICH?
Cheese is the next most important ingredient! American cheese, provolone are commonly used in a Philly cheesesteak. However, I love to use smoky pepper jack cheese over the meat. It brings this sandwich to the next level. Other options include cheese whiz, mozzarella and Swiss cheese.
How to Make Philly Cheesesteak
- Toast buns and butter them.
- Saute onion, green bell pepper and mushrooms.
- Cook beef slices until cook through.
- Divide into 4 portions, place cheese over the meat and allow to melt.
- Assemble the sandwich using a spatula.
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!