This air fryer meatloaf is so juicy and cooks in a fraction of the time you’d take making it in the oven. Perhaps best of all, with minimal mess and prep, there’s barely any cleaning up to do after. What a win!
This meatloaf recipe uses a mix of meat, seasonings, and a delicious topping.
Why Make Meatloaf in the Air Fryer?
Classic meatloaf is a weeknight staple for many households. This air fryer version makes it even quicker and easier to enjoy.
- You can bake your air fryer meatloaf in about half the time it would otherwise take when compared to an oven recipe.
- In this recipe, we allow the fat to drip away in the pan, so you don’t wind up with an overly greasy, fatty meatloaf.
- We’ll be making two smaller meatloaves which are easier to handle (and more crispy edges!)
- Cleaning up is an absolute breeze.
- Be careful not to overmix your meat, which will make it tough and chewy. Only mix your ingredients until it’s just combined.
- Preheat your air fryer before adding the meatloaf to ensure that you get those crispy edges we all love.
- Air fryers can vary in power and cooking time from one make and model to another. We highly recommend that you use an instant read meat thermometer to check your meatloaf’s internal temperature. Meatloaf is fully cooked at 165 F.
- Always check your meatloaf early on to ensure that it doesn’t overcook. You can always cook it for more time if need be, but you can’t un-cook overcooked meat.
- Rest your meatloaf before slicing into it. This helps it to maintain its structural integrity and keeps all the flavorsome juices inside the meatloaf, not spilling out onto your chopping board. This way, your meatloaf won’t fall apart, and it stays moist and tender.
- Keep your meatloaf leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator. The meatloaf will keep for up to four days. You can reheat it in the air fryer or in your microwave.
Ingredients ( Notes)
- Meat: The meat for this meatloaf is ground beef. We’re using 80/20 lean ground beef for the best balance of flavor and texture. You can also use a combination of ground beef with turkey or pork. We love ground beef for meatloaf because it has the best flavor for this type of recipe. A combination of lean beef and pork is often used to make the meatloaf even more tender and juicy, but you should be aware that pork is a fattier meat than lean beef. This will increase the fat content of your meatloaf. It might not be by much, but it’s worth keeping in mind.
- Vegetables: We’re using parsley and garlic for a classic aromatic, flavorsome complement to the meat.
- For a binder, we’re using breadcrumbs with milk and egg, with some parmesan cheese, onion soup mix and Italian seasoning for that extra flavor factor. The milk and egg will really help the meatloaf to stay moist and tender, and will keep the meatloaf together after cooking when you slice into it. Just be sure to let it rest a couple of minutes before carving it up, or it might fall apart instead of forming beautiful, firm slices.
How To Make Air Fryer Meatloaf
Air fryer meatloaf is a really quick and easy weeknight dinner. It’s a great way to quickly and easily put a meal on your table. All you need to do is follow these easy, breezy steps.
Before cooking, be sure to preheat your air fryer to 350 F. Air fryers don’t take as long as ovens to reach cooking temperature, so some people don’t preheat their air fryer. You don’t always need to do this, but for this recipe we recommend it. That’s because everybody loves meatloaf with crispy edges! Placing your meatloaf in an air fryer that is already hot gets you those lovely crispy edges. This effect is diminished if you place the meatloaf in an air fryer that is still heating up.
- First, mix your meatloaf ingredients together, shaping them into two evenly sized loaves. You want your meatloaves to be about the same size, as close as you can reasonably get. This allows them to cook in about the same amount of time at the same rate.
- Place your meatloaves in the air fryer basket, brush with oil and cook for about twenty minutes.
- Add your topping and return the meatloaf to the air fryer to cook for another ten to fifteen minutes, or until the meatloaf reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Finally, remove your meatloaves from the air fryer, allowing them to rest for about fives minutes before you serve it. This allows all the juices to settle into the meatloaf, guaranteeing you juicy, tender meatloaf every time.
Storage and Reheat
Allow your meatloaf to cool completely, place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 4 days, but it is best consumed within 2 days. You can also store leftovers in the freezer for 3-4 months. Be sure to store it in a freezer safe container and label the date.
Reheating Air Fryer Meatloaf
You can use air fryer, microwave or oven. Read how to to reheat any meatloaf here. We highly recommend to reheat it in the air fryer or oven at 350°F |175°C| until heated through. The timing will vary depending on the size and thickness of your meatloaf slices.
Other Great Meatloaf Recipes
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.