This buffalo chicken meatloaf is made with ground chicken, celery, carrots, cheddar cheese and topped with hot Frank's sauce, blue cheese crumbs, and ranch dressing-yum!
We’ve made the ultimate American comfort food even better. We’re using simple ingredients with a huge flavor kick to make a high-protein meatloaf perfect for game day, weeknight dinners, or just because you feel like something spicy.
Chicken Meatloaf Recipe
While we often make meatloaf with beef or pork, sometimes you want something a little leaner and lighter. That’s where turkey or chicken mince comes in so handy! It’s delicious, moist, just the right amount of spicy, and stuffed with a generous helping of cheddar cheese. For side dishes, look no further than the classics. Mashed potato, roast veggies, or a ranch salad are all you need to make this into a well-rounded, full-food-pyramid meal.
What You Need To Make Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf
You will be so happy to know you probably already have most, if not all, the ingredients you’ll need for this meatloaf recipe. With only some easy-to-use kitchen staples and loving preparation, you’ll have a flavor-packed meal your whole family will love.
- Ground chicken: Lean ground chicken is great for this recipe with lots of protein. You could also use ground turkey if you want.
- Eggs: Two eggs are all you need to bind these ingredients together.
- Buffalo sauce: Whatever your buffalo sauce preference is, go with it! Like it hot? Use a mouthwateringly spicy sauce. If your taste leans milder, go for it. Totally up to you.
- Breadcrumbs: We’re using panko breadcrumbs to help hold the meatloaf together. Gluten free breadcrumbs work just fine, too, if that’s what you’re into.
- Onion & garlic: these classic flavor enhancers will make every mouthful an absolute treat.
- Salt & pepper: Because we always season our meats.
- Cheddar cheese: Use a nice, sharp cheddar for this recipe. While the sharp tang of great cheddar cheese is ideal for this dish’s flavor profile, you can substitute for a milder cheese if that’s your preference.
- Veggies: We like to use carrot and celery.
- Garnishes & sauces: You want something crisp and fresh as your garnish. Cilantro, blue cheese crumbs and green onion on top, with some blue cheese dressing or ranch on the side is the perfect accompaniment. You could even take some inspiration from classic Buffalo wings and serve celery sticks with your ranch!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf
- Add the onion, celery, carrot, celery leaves and garlic to your food processor, pulse until finely minced, scraping down the sides if needed.
- In a large bowl combine the mixture with ground chicken, eggs, panko breadcrumbs, cheddar cheese, green onion, blue cheese dressing, Franks hot sauce, black pepper and salt.
- Transfer the meat mixture into a loaf pan and press lightly to shape the meat loaf, then turn it out onto the prepared oven grill tray. Alternatively, you can place the the meat mixture on the tray and shape into a rectangle with your hands.
- Spread half of the buffalo sauce on top of the meatloaf and reserve the other half.
- Bake meatloaf for 45 minutes, then remove from the oven, pour the remaining sauce over the meatloaf, return back to the oven and bake further for 15 minutes or until cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165° F.
Spicy Food For Spice Lovers
If you love spicy food, and can’t get enough heat, you’re welcome to make some key alterations to this recipe.
- Using a spicy buffalo sauce is the most obvious way to get some extra kick out of your meal.
- A pepper jack or spicy cheddar will up the fire factor of your meat loaf if you use that instead of regular cheddar.
- If you’re feeling adventurous, some chopped peppers - like jalapeno, or habanero - in your meatloaf mix will seriously improve this dish’s incendiary firepower.
How To Know When Meatloaf is Done
The best way to check meatloaf for doneness is using a meat thermometer. We recommend that you invest in an instant-read meat thermometer for recipes like this.
This buffalo chicken meatloaf will be perfectly cooked at an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
What To Serve With Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf
Meatloaf is an American classic. You probably already have your favorite meatloaf sides that you love already, but in case you want some inspiration here’s our recommendations.
- Blue cheese dressing or any ranch dressing in a dipping bowl is an absolute classic. This will provide a pleasant, cooling contrast to the spice in your buffalo meatloaf.
- Big, hearty, comforting sides like mashed potatoes, cornbread, or garlic bread are always welcome next to meatloaf. Plus, with garlic bread, you can soak up any extra juices or sauce from the loaf!
- Roast veggies are always a great side. You could try glazed carrots, or any beautiful roasted greens like asparagus, Brussels sprouts, or broccoli as a verdant, vibrant contrast to the meatloaf.
- If you’re feeling like a healthy option, a bright, fresh salad is a fantastic accompaniment and palate cleanser for this meal. Fattoush salad, sprout salads, or even a sweet potato salad are all awesome sides.
- You could be like a classic American wings restaurant and serve celery sticks with blue cheese or ranch dressing as a side dish, completing the Buffalo chicken aesthetic.
You can freeze unbaked meatloaf after wrapping it in plastic wrap and tinfoil for up to three months.
Once baked, if you want to freeze meatloaf you should allow it to cool before wrapping and freezing. Try freezing individual slices to make the thawing process easier.
To reheat, that in the fridge, remove wrapping, and cook as directed until baked through.
More Meatloaf Recipes
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.