Learn how to make Copycat Texas Roadhouse Croutons with this simple and customizable recipe. These golden, crispy cubes are perfect for adding texture and flavor to your favorite salads and soups.
Here are some tips for making Texas Roadhouse croutons:
- Use day-old bread: Using bread that is slightly stale will help the croutons to hold their shape and not become too soggy.
- Cut bread into uniform cubes: Make sure to cut the bread into evenly sized cubes so that they cook evenly and have a consistent texture.
- Use parchment paper: Lining the baking sheet with parchment paper will prevent the croutons from sticking to the pan and make for easy cleanup.
- Don't overcrowd the pan: Be sure to spread the bread cubes out in a single layer on the baking sheet to ensure that they bake evenly and become crispy.
- Season well: Be generous with your seasonings to give the croutons plenty of flavor. You can also experiment with different spices and herbs to customize the recipe to your liking.
- Keep an eye on them: Since the cooking time will vary based on the size and thickness of the bread cubes, it's important to check on them frequently and flip them halfway through cooking to ensure that they brown evenly.
- Store in an airtight container: To keep your croutons fresh and crispy, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- Bread: You can use any type of bread you prefer, but sourdough or French bread work well.
- Butter: It adds a rich, buttery flavor and helps the croutons brown evenly. Extra-virgin olive oil or any other neutral oil like canola oil or vegetable oil can be used instead.
- Italian Seasoning: You can use store-bought Italian seasoning or make your own by combining dried basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and parsley.
- Garlic Powder: Fresh garlic can also be used instead of garlic powder, but it needs to be minced finely.
- Onion powder: It is a good addition to croutons as it can add flavor. However, it is a matter of personal preference, and it can be omitted if desired.
- Salt and Pepper: Adjust the amount of salt and pepper to taste.
How To Make Texas Roadhouse Croutons
- Take a large bowl and place the bread cubes in it. Drizzle the melted butter over the bread cubes and sprinkle Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper on top. Gently toss the bread cubes until everything is well combined.
- Spread the bread cubes out in a single layer on the baking sheet. If there are too many bread cubes, use an additional sheet to avoid steam trapping and ensure even browning of the croutons.
- Place the baking sheet with the bread cubes in the preheated oven and bake until the croutons turn golden brown. To ensure all sides are browned, turn the cubes over once, halfway through the cooking time. Keep an eye on the croutons as cooking time may vary based on the thickness of the cubes. It usually takes around 15-20 minutes to cook the croutons to perfection.
Frequently Asked Questions
To store these croutons, allow them to cool completely, then transfer them to an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. Store at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Yes, you can freeze homemade croutons. To do so, let the croutons cool completely, then transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag. Label the container with the date and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To use, simply thaw the croutons at room temperature or reheat in the oven before adding to your salad or soup.
Yes! However, firmer bread like French or sourdough bread tends to work better as they hold their shape and texture when baked. Softer bread like white or wheat bread can become too mushy when making croutons.
It is possible to make croutons without butter or oil, but they may not be as crispy or flavorful. You can try using a non-stick cooking spray or simply bake the bread cubes without any coating, but the texture and taste may be different.
Yes, you can make croutons in advance for a salad. Once they have cooled completely, store them in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag at room temperature for up to 1 week. When you're ready to use them, simply add them to your salad and enjoy!
Ways to Use Homemade Texas Roadhouse Croutons
- As a salad topping: Sprinkle on top of your favorite salad for a delicious crunch.
- As a soup topping: Add your croutons to a hot bowl of soup for added texture and flavor. They are are perfect for hot tomato soup or an authentic Spanish gazpacho.
- In a casserole: Add to a casserole for a crispy, crunchy topping.
- As a snack: Enjoy your croutons on their own as a tasty snack.
- In stuffing: Use your croutons as a base for a savory stuffing.
- In a breakfast scramble: Add to a breakfast scramble for a filling and flavorful breakfast option.
- As a garnish: Use as a garnish for dishes like pasta or risotto to add a crunchy element.
To store homemade croutons, allow them to cool completely and then transfer them to an airtight container. You can store them at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If freezing, be sure to let them come to room temperature before using them.
Other Copycat Recipes
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.