This homemade steak seasoning recipe is quick and perfect for pan searing, air frying or grilling steaks. It is the best steak seasoning mix that will be ready in no time. It works well for seasoning chicken and lamb too.
Homemade Steak Seasoning
A perfectly seasoned steak's exquisite flavor and delicate caramelization will impress all at the dining table.
Pan-searing your steak instead of grilling lets you add fresh herbs and garlic cloves to the pan to boost its flavor.
How much seasoning your steak cut needs depends on its thickness and how you like your steak prepared. To ensure you always have enough on hand, prepare enough seasoning blend for multiple uses. Steak seasoning stored in an airtight container can remain fresh in your spice cabinet for months.
You will Need
- Ground black pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Dried thyme
- Dried rosemary
- Brown sugar
What Makes a Quality Steak Seasoning?
The foundation of a quality steak seasoning begins with salt and pepper. A carefully curated blend of herbs and spices can be added to enhance your steak’s flavor.
- Depending on what you have on hand, freshly-ground pepper and Kosher or Himalayan salt work wonderfully.
- Any spices and herbs should be added in amounts that neither dominate nor detract from the steak’s original flavor. Onion powder and garlic powder are great accompaniments to a cut of steak.
- Plan to pan-sear your steak using fresh garlic cloves? Reduce or eliminate the garlic powder to your liking.
- Whether fresh or dried, rosemary and thyme complement steak and add brightness to balance the seasoning’s other savory elements.
- Smoked paprika is a pigmented flavor enhancer that adds a beautiful caramelization to make your steak appear restaurant-made. It is a spice rack must-have that has recently become widely accessible at most supermarkets.
- Brown sugar helps to accelerate the browning of steak.
How to Make It
It’s a breeze to make your own custom steak seasoning blend that rivals any steakhouse. The process is as simple as combining your favorite spices and dried herbs.
Consider how much steak seasoning you’d like to prepare, then adjust your recipe ingredients up or down accordingly.
- Combine your freshly-ground pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, smoked paprika, dried rosemary and thyme. Transfer to a suitable spice container or a resealable plastic storage bag.
- When ready to use, season the steak to your liking, then reserve the rest in your chosen container and store it in your spice cabinet for future use.
❗ Regardless of your chosen steak seasoning container, it will have a longer shelf life if stored in a cool, dry cabinet away from direct sunlight. Aim to use your seasoning blend within three months, but know that it can last even longer with proper storage.
Seasoning a Steak
- Bring your steak to room temperature by placing it on your kitchen counter for 30 minutes to an hour. Room-temperature steak cuts cook faster and more evenly.
- Season your steak just before throwing it on the pan. Steak cuts should be grilled within three minutes after seasoning - the sooner, the better.
- Begin with minimal spice and add more as needed. It’s easier to add more seasoning than play damage control after being overly generous.
- Season both sides of your steak, then lightly massage the seasoning blend into the meat with your fingertips. Sprinkle some seasoning on a dish, then rotate the steak onto the surface until all sides are coated. This method does wonders for enhancing the flavor of any fatty bits on your steak.
- Once seasoned, add the steak to a preheated grill or skillet and cook until done to your liking.
Store your homemade steak seasoning blend in a zip-loc bag or airtight container for up to three months. If properly stored, it will have an even longer shelf life.
Other Seasoning Recipes
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
Steak Seasoning Recipe
- Total Time: 2 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
This homemade steak seasoning recipe is quick and perfect for pan searing, air frying or grilling steaks.
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Himalayan salt ( or Kosher)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon onion
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients.
- Season room temperature steaks on both sides and grill, pan sear, air fry or oven roast. Makes enough to season 4 large steaks.
- If not using immediately, store in an air tight container or spice jar away from light.
Storage: Store your homemade steak seasoning blend in a zip-loc bag or airtight container for up to three months. If properly stored, it will have an even longer shelf life.
- Prep Time: 2 min
- Cook Time: 0 min
- Category: Beef recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 20kcal
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 1541mg
- Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: steak seasoning, homemade steak seasoning recipe
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
Leave a Reply