These Chinese Scallion pancakes, “Cong You Bing” are flaky, chewy and delicious flatbreads that are made of flour, scallions, and salt. This fail-proof recipe calls only for 5 ingredients! A perfect appetizer for lunch or dinner. They are better than Chinese restaurant green onion pancakes.
VEGAN SCALLION PANCAKES
Last month I ordered these pancakes at our local Chinese restaurant, they were so good to be true. I should say this savory flatbread is very similar to Indian Paratha , a layered flatbread made with flour, ghee and salt & water. Paratha is a staple in our home. That’s why I decided to give it a try and make scallion pancakes at home. I was sure my family will love them. I was right!
The recipe is very straightforward and the best of all these pancakes are Vegan!
EASY SCALLION PANCAKES
My method of making scallion pancakes is very simple. It is actually a shortcut.
- Make plain dough.
- Allow the dough rest for 20-30 min.
- Roll it out and then spread the chopped scallion, press it into the dough and generously sprinkle Himalayan salt on the dough. Coil and allow to rest for another 20 min.
- Roll the dough out into a big thin pancake.
- Cook pancakes until golden brown.
Still looking for pancake recipe?Try these!
HOW TO MAKE SCALLION PANCAKESPrint
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4
These Chinese Scallion pancakes, “Cong You Bing” are flaky, chewy and delicious flatbreads that are made of flour, scallions, and salt. This fail-proof recipe calls only for 5 ingredients!
- All-purpose flour- 3 ¼ cup or 400 gm
- Water (room temperature)-280 ml
- Oil for cooking
- FOR THE FILLING
- Scallions ( chopped)- 1 cup
- Himalayan salt -2 tsp.
- Olive oil- 2 tbsp.
- In a large bowl mix flour and water together until forms a smooth dough.
- Transfer the dough to a clean surface to knead. The dough will be sticky. Knead for about 8-10 minutes, doubling it over and pressing it down. The dough is ready when it is not sticky.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions, cover with plastic and allow to rest for 30 min.
- On a dusted surface, roll out the dough into a thin layer.
- Lightly brush the top of the dough with oil, then spread chopped scallions evenly (gently press them onto the dough) and sprinkle Himalayan salt.
- Starting from the long end, roll the dough up like a long burrito.
- Coil the dough and allow to rest for 20 minutes, covered.
- Before cooking, press the dough lightly to flatten and get a round pancake.
- Preheat a nonstick pan,add 1 tbsp. oil, then place the scallion pancake and cook over low heat until brown, flip, cover with the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes on low heat.
- Remove the lid, add 1 tbsp. vegetable oil around the sides of the pancake and fry until golden brown, flipping halfway.
- Using a pizza cutter or kitchen scissors, cut the pancake into wedges. Serve immediately with any dipping sauce of your choice.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Vegan
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 100 gm
- Calories: 32 kcal
- Fat: 0.19 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.34 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 1.83 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
Keywords: scallion pancakes, onion pancakes, Chinese pancakes, pancakes
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
OTHER VEGAN RECIPES
Leave a Reply