This imitation crab and cabbage salad is the easiest kani salad you will ever make. Loaded with thinly sliced cabbage, sweet corn, julienned carrots and crab meat, and topped with a simple mayonnaise dressing. This salad is better than anything from your favorite Japanese Steakhouse.
Don’t know what to make with imitation crab meat (kani)? Try this fantastic crab and cabbage salad. It is seriously delicious and easy to make at home. Plus this dish makes 8 servings. Invite your friends to enjoy it for lunch.
What is Imitation Crab?
Imitation crab meat is a cheaper alternative to pricey crab meat. It is everywhere nowadays, I am sure you’ve eaten it so many times as it is a common ingredient in sushi like California roll or Shrimp Tempura Roll.
It is made with surimi or white fish, sugar, sodium and other natural and artificial flavors.
You can find imitation crab meat in many grocery stores or get it on amazon. Alternatively you can also use real crab meat if you want, but kani is easier to go with.
Imitation Crab and Cabbage Salad Ingredients
- Imitation crab meat: Any brand will work well.
- Carrots: They add the color and crunch.
- Cabbage: If you don’t like cabbage, use cucumbers ( make sure to remove the core to prevent it from becoming watery).
- Sweet corn: It adds crunch, color and flavor that pairs so well with imitation crab meat.
- Garlic cloves: Be sure to mince the garlic using a microplane grater.
- Mayonnaise: We like to use regular mayo, but you can substitute it with sour cream or reduced fat mayo for a lighter version.
- Apple cider vinegar: It adds tanginess to the salad. Lemon juice will work as well.
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Crab Salad
- Discard outer leaves of cabbage and shred using a sharp knife. Transfer the shredded cabbage to a large mixing bowl.
- Peel the carrots, trim off the ends, and cut into julienne. Put into the bowl with cabbage.
- Shred the crab sticks by hand and add to the bowl.
- Add the sweet corn, garlic, mayo and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, and toss until all the ingredients are combined.
Making the salad in advance
You can make this salad one day in advance. Prep all the ingredients (shred the cabbage, imitation crab sticks, mince the garlic and cut the carrots into julienne); refrigerate in an airtight container or bowl covered with plastic. Add the sweet corn, vinegar and mayonnaise just before serving. Season and enjoy!
How to store leftover salad
If there’s any leftover salad, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate for 2-3 days.
This is not your regular kani salad, but it is incredibly delicious. Make it for your next potluck party or special occasion. You will impress everyone!
More Delicious Imitation Crab Meat Recipes
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!