Creamy Cucumber salad is easy to make and so refreshing! Sliced summer cucumbers and onion are tossed in a simple sour cream dressing. It is a must-have summer side dish at any barbecue or picnic.
Cucumber Salad Recipe
This cucumber salad is a classic summer staple along with our Ceviche! It is a quick, creamy and refreshing salad. Our family and friends love it and it is on our weekly menu all the summer. If you have garden cucumbers sitting in your refrigerator, give it a try. I am sure you will be hooked!
Creamy Cucumber Salad Ingredients
Actually, it is the easiest salad ever! You need just a few ingredients like cucumbers, onion, fresh dill and sour cream to make the best cucumber salad. Garden cucumbers are very flavorful and work best for this recipe.
- Cucumbers: If you have ever tasted garden-grown veggies, you know how much more flavorful they are. We highly recommend to use garden cucumbers. However, if you can’t get them, you can make this side dish with cucumbers from your local grocery store.
- Onion: Use white, yellow or red onions.
- Sour cream: We love to use sour cream because it provides a creamy tangy base. Alternatively, you can make this salad with Greek yogurt.
- Lemon juice: If your sour cream is too thick, you might need to use lemon juice to make the dressing lighter.
- Dill: Fresh or frozen dill works best.
- Salt and pepper
How to make cucumber salad
- Slice the cucumbers into ¼″ slices and slice the onion.
- Chop the scallions and dill.
- Add the sliced cucumbers, scallions, fresh dill, onion and sour cream in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper,drizzle with lemon juice ( if using) and toss.
Can I substitute the sour cream?
Yes! Though we recommend to use sour cream for this cucumber salad, you can substitute it with Greek yogurt to cut calories. Another option is low fat sour cream, it creates thinner sauce but it will work well.
How Long does it Last in the Fridge?
It will last 2-3 days if stored properly. Keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To refresh the salad the next day, add more crunchy cucumbers and onion.
You can make this cucumber salad 3-4 hours in advance, the cucumbers will stay crispy. If you wish to make it further ahead, prep the veggies and dill and add the sour cream, lemon juice, salt and pepper just before serving.
What cucumbers are best for salad?
Options are endless, our favourite cucumbers in salads are:
- Garden cucumbers: As mentioned above, garden-grown cucumbers are best for any salad! They are very flavorful.
- English cucumbers: This variety has smooth skin and a mildly sweet flavor. They are longer and narrower than other varieties.
- Wax-coated cucumbers: You can find them at most grocery stores. Make sure to peel them before eating as they have an edible wax coating that prevents moisture loss.
- Cocktail cucumbers: These cucumbers are smaller in size and crunchier than other varieties. You don’t need to peel them. However, they are more expensive than other cucumbers.
More Delicious Cucumber Recipes
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!