Moist and juicy Teriyaki Salmon baked to perfection and served with a homemade teriyaki sauce. It is the easiest and tastiest salmon you’ll ever make.
Teriyaki is the most recognizable way of cooking food in Japan and the famous sauce which has so successfully caught on in the Western world, especially in the US. Made of soy and spices, sometimes adding a little bit of alcohol, sweet and spicy, teriyaki sauce is the best compliment of many types of food – meat, vegetables, and seafood. Especially seafood! And what we’re going to talk about is how to cook flavorsome teriyaki salmon.
Salmon is one of the most popular fish, available fresh in most supermarkets. It’s famous for its delicious taste, super easy way of cooking and for its crucial benefits for your health. Salmon is not only high in protein and low in calories, it contains two Omega-3 fatty acids – DHA and EPA – which lower the risk of heart diseases, enhances brain activity, contributes to overall well-being and helps to lose weight. Quite a telling argument to start eating more salmon and cook it with super easy salmon teriyaki recipe.
Salmon can be cooked in many different ways, fried, steam cooked or baked (with or without foil) and any of these won’t take more than 10-15 minutes. Here I offer 15-mins baked teriyaki salmon.
When buying fish consider buying it with a skin, even if you prefer cooking without it (skin can be easily peeled before or after cooking), it will hold the flesh of the fish together and prevent from drying out. Some people also prefer sprinkling a little bit of salt on the salmon before cooking to draw out excess moisture and to eliminate its delicious flavor. It’s up to you, but with this super tasty homemade teriyaki salmon recipe you won’t need any additional salt.
So, why is this salmon teriyaki recipe a winner? First of all, because it’s easy to cook with just a handful of ingredients and doesn’t need much preparation time. In just five steps you get quick, healthy and delicious dinner on your table. The sauce is mild and very easy to prepare. Moreover, it enhances the salmon perfectly and adds a unique flavor. If you’ve never considered making teriyaki sauce yourself, it’s time to try. Once you learn how to make your own teriyaki sauce at home, you’ll never buy one. You can control the sweetness by adding more honey or some sugar, scale the recipe up or down and add any other spices to your taste. Moreover, you can use it as dip or dressing for any other meat or vegetable dishes, it can stay in the fridge for about a week, just warm it up to the room temperature before using.
Secondly, you get juicy and flaky healthy dish that the whole family will love. For one serving you get 376 kcal., protein, carbs, healthy fats, fiber, and iron. Perfect for busy weekdays and for special dinner when you need something amazing.
TERIYAKI SALMON RECIPE
- Salmon fillets- 1 lg / 2.2 lb
- TERIYAKI MARINADE ( makes approx. 240 ml)
- Teriyaki sauce- 90 ml
- Sesame oil/ peanut oil- 90 ml
- Soy sauce- 50 ml
- Honey - 1 tbsp
- Maple syrup- 1 tbsp
- Grated orange zest- 1 tbsp
- Garlic ( minced)- 1 tbsp
- Ginger ( grated)- 1 tbsp
- Potato starch- ½ tsp ( optional)
- FOR SERVING
- Scallions ( sliced)- 2 tbsp
- TERIYAKI MARINADE*
- In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients ( teriyaki sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, maple syrup. grated orange zest, minced garlic & grated ginger). Mix well.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F / 200 C with the rack in the center.
- Place the salmon slices in a large bowl. Pour the teriyaki marinade over the salmon, coating each slice. Cover with plastic & let marinate 15-20 minutes.
- Cover with foil a big baking sheet.
- Transfer the salmon slices to the baking sheet , put in the oven & bake at 400 F /200 C for 12 minutes or until salmon is flaky. The baking times depends on the thickness of salmon.
- At this point transfer the remaining marinade to a small saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and allow the sauce to simmer ( 4 minutes). Add ½ tsp of potato starch to thicken the sauce. Remove from the heat.
- Once the salmon is done. Transfer it onto a serving dish, pour the teriyaki sauce & sprinkle with green onions if desired.
- Serve immediately.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE