This Spicy Hummus recipe is a twist on my all-time favorite Middle Eastern Hummus. It is super creamy, nutty, with notes of cumin, lemon and roasted garlic. It is also spicy but tastes so fresh! Serve it with pita bread, roasted chicken or fresh veggies. Learn how to make this absolutely delicious hummus like a professional chef today!
I was introduced to hummus 10 years ago when I moved to the Middle East. I have to admit-It was love from the very first bite. I have learnt how to make the creamiest, most-flavorful, smoothest hummus ever since that time. But when this week I craved something spicy, it occurred to me that I can make my go-to hummus even better, because chickpeas, tahini, cumin, roasted garlic and red chili perfectly pair with each other. And my spicy hummus was born! Oh boy! It was incredibly delicious and knocked my socks off.
HOMEMADE HUMMUS INGREDIENTS:
What I love most about hummus is that it is a quick impromptu dip. Most ingredients you have in your kitchen and it takes just a few minutes to make it. It is an ideal side dish for potluck parties or weeknight dinner with Garlic Butter Roasted Chicken. To make this spicy hummus you will need:
- Chickpeas:I prefer to use canned chickpeas, because cooking chickpeas is time consuming but the taste will be only a tiny bit better. I really recommend to go with a store-bought can. Simply rinse and drain them before making hummus.
- Tahini: Hummus is not hummus without tahini. I recommend to buy a bottle of good quality tahini. It very versatile and can be later used in sauces for veggies.
- Roasted garlic: It gives a milder and sweeter garlic taste and doesn’t give pungency to hummus.
- Yogurt/ Labneh: Both will work really well.
- Ground cumin: Chickpeas and cumin are good mates same like tomatoes and basil.
- Red Chili: I used Turkish red cherry chili, I love them for their medium heat and a slightly sweet taste. But any red chili or jalapeno will work for this recipe. Adjust the amount to your liking.
- Lemon juice: It gives a slightly tangy taste to hummus.
HOW TO MAKE HUMMUS
Method at glance to make this hummus,
- Roast garlic cloves and carrot. Allow to cool.
- In a food processor puree all the ingredients for hummus until smooth (roasted garlic, chickpeas, tahini, red cherry chili peppers, olive oil, cumin, salt, and lemon juice). Process all the ingredients until the hummus is smooth, pausing to scrape the sides down. If the hummus seems too thick to your liking, add in a tablespoon of cold water.
- Adjust seasoning: Season the hummus to your taste, feel free to add in extra cumin, salt, and lemon juice.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl, add on roasted julienned carrot, pumpkin seeds, the finely chopped red chili and black sesame seeds. Drizzle with olive oil.
HOW TO SERVE HUMMUS?
Any hummus goes really well with roasted meat, kebabs, fresh veggies and pita bread.
More favorite hummus recipes:
If you make this Spicy Hummus be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating! I will be happy to hear from you!
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
OTHER DIPS RECIPES