Learn how to make this incredible Arabic chicken shawarma from scratch. Discover some Shawarma making secrets which will help you create the dish of your dreams!
Do you love chicken shawarma? Are you new to this gourmet? Are you tired of having to visit a restaurant every time you want to take this dish? Time is ripe for you to learn how to prepare this dish at home.
What is chicken shawarma?
Chicken shawarma is a very popular dish in the Middle East. Basically, this is a flavorful roasted chicken marinated with a delicious spice mix. For long it has been perceived that this dish cannot only be prepared at home.
In restaurants, this gourmet is prepared by marinating chicken mix, then stacking the meat on vertical strips and grilling them all day. When you visit the restaurant, you will be served with a slice of shaved meat from the rotating spit. The remaining meat block is left to heat in the spinning grill. Normally they serve the chicken shawarma as a wrap, sandwich or on a plate with accompaniments. These industrial roasters are expensive and difficult to use at home. And for this reason, it has been almost impossible to prepare this dish at home.
After many days of experimenting with different recipes, I have finally managed to replicate this flavorful dish. I managed to come up with a recipe that easy to follow and uses readily available ingredients. Are you ready for the secrets?
Secrets of chicken shawarma
I really love this dish the desires to replicate the flavorful restaurant meal fueled my research for a simple recipe. I never thought it would be possible to have this gourmet at home for two reasons;
- One I didn’t have a gas burning grill and,
- Two, I didn’t have all the time to prepare this meal
But, my research helped me to come up with a recipe that would navigate past these obstacles. And am ready to reveal the secret of my easy-to-follow recipe. This recipe is founded on the basis of two basic concepts;
- Making a delicious spice mix for marinating the chicken strips.
- Preparing the chicken strips in a special way so as to keep them juicy.
Once the two concepts are attained the rest will be very easy. I experimented with ingredients which are found in almost every kitchen, to eliminate the fear of using peculiar spices. It also takes less time to prepare this recipe and its fit for everyone even the busy professionals. The whole process will take less than 30 minutes, excluding the time taken in marinating the chicken strips. This is an awesome gourmet that you will be able to prepare at the comfort of your home. Isn’t that wonderful?
- This recipe involves the use of readily and locally available ingredients.
- It takes lesser time to prepare your chicken shawarma, hence the recipe suits all including the busy professionals.
- The recipe will produce flavorful shawarma just like the one prepared in restaurants.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN SHAWARMA FROM SCRATCH
- Chicken fillet- 1 kg
- Chicken stock- ¼ cup
- Vegetable oil- ¼ cup
- Tomato paste- 4 tbsp
- Corn flour 3 tbsp
- Fresh lemon juice - 2 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Grape vinegar- ½ cup
- ARABIC SHAWARMA SPICES
- All spices- 1½ tbsp
- White pepper- ½ tsp
- Black pepper- ½ tsp
- Cloves- 4
- Cardamon- 5
- Paprika- 1 tbsp
- Grind all spices, cloves, white pepper, black pepper, cardamon,paprika in your grinder. Put aside for a while.
- Cut the chicken into strips.
- Mix the prepared seasoning with lemon juice, grape vinegar,. chicken stock, oil, corn flour, salt & tomato paste. Mix well to combine.
- Add the chicken and mix it all together. Cover with plastic & leave it for 15-30 minutes.
- In the meantime preheat your oven to 190 C/ 380 F. Put the chicken onto the baking tray. Bake the chicken shawarma for 15 minutes.
- Serve with Arabic labneh and pita bread.