This easy everyday Cabbage and cucumber salad is highly versatile, inexpensive and quick to make! Perfect for potlucks, barbecue or any occasion.
This salad is one of our favourite summer salads. It is simple, easy to make, and pairs well with any meal from light seafood dishes to hearty stews or roasts.
This salad is very popular amongst Slavic people and every family has their own version. Ours is very simple yet it has a ton of flavour. Here are some reasons to love this salad:
- Easy and quick: This is a very inexpensive salad that feeds a crowd. You will need just a handful of ingredients that you most likely have in your kitchen. And it takes only 10 minutes to make this delicious side dish. Perfect for busy weeknights!
- Texture: It has a fantastic crisp and crunchy texture.
- Taste: This cabbage and cucumber salad is very refreshing and loaded with so many bright flavors from fresh dill, cabbage and garden cucumbers.
The dressing is tangy and just perfect for this salad. You are going to love it!
Cabbage and cucumber salad Ingredients
This salad holds up very well once it’s prepared. We like to make it few hours before serving to give cabbage some time to wilt. The salad becomes super juicy. To make this vibrant summer salad you will need:
- Vegetables and herbs- Cabbage, fresh dill, cucumber, and scallions
- Dressing- Apple cider or white vinegar, oil (sunflower or olive oil), salt and pepper.
How to Make Cabbage Cucumber Salad
- Prep the veggies: Slice the cabbage thinly, chop the cucumbers, dill and green onion. Place everything into a large bowl.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl combine oil, vinegar, salt and ground black pepper.
- Toss: Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
You can serve it right away or refrigerate for 2-3 hours to allow the cabbage to soften.
Is Cabbage Healthy?
Yes! Cabbage is good for your health. It has lots of antioxidants and rich in nutrients like Vitamin C, Vitamin K (twice as much as red cabbage has), Manganese and Vitamin B6. Plus, it is low in calories.
How to slice cabbage
We like to slice cabbage thinly for this salad. You can do it, using a sharp knife or a mandolin slicer. Before shredding, discard the outer leaves, wash and pat dry the cabbage. Then, cut it in half and thinly slice. We recommend to cut cabbage into quarters for a mandolin slicer.
What to Serve with This Cabbage Cucumber Salad
You can serve it with pretty much any meal. Try it with our classic Meatloaf, Longhorn Parmesan Chicken or with fabulous Asparagus Stuffed Chicken. It also tastes great with burgers and sandwiches, such as Popeyes Chicken Sandwich or our Homemade Burger. This salad is perfect for lunch or dinner.
How to store this salad
This salad is best the day it was made. However, it keeps well in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. If you want to make it ahead, prep the veggies and dressing, and store them separately in airtight containers. This way you can keep veggies for 3-4 days, and the dressing will last for up to 4 weeks.
Love cabbage? Try these!!
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!