This crab and shrimp stuffed salmon recipe is easy and quick to make, with just 10 minutes of prep time. The salmon fillets are tender and juicy, filled with a delicious mix of Boursin cheese, crab meat, spinach, jalapeno, garlic, Parmesan and shrimp. It's so good that you won't feel the need to dine out!
Stuffed Salmon with Shrimp And Crab
Why go out and wait in line when you can make a fancy dish like this stuffed salmon with shrimp and crab at home? Eating out is fun, but a homemade fancy dinner feels special too.
Packed with creamy goodness, it'll have everyone asking for seconds. This salmon is a flavor superstar - it's juicy, flaky, and gets an extra kick from the filling and topping. The best part? It’s easy to make and ready in under 30 minutes.
✅ You'll Need
- Salmon Fillet: Opt for fresh salmon fillets for the best flavor. Substitution: Trout can be a good alternative to salmon.
- Avocado/Olive Oil: These oils are chosen for their health benefits and neutral flavor. Substitution: Canola oil or sunflower oil can also be used if needed.
- Smoked Paprika: Adds a smoky flavor to the dish. Substitution: Regular paprika or chili powder for some heat, but the smoky flavor will be missing.
- Cajun Seasoning: Provides a spicy kick to the dish. Substitution: A mix of onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, dried thyme, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper can mimic the flavor.
- Shrimp: Medium shrimp work best for even cooking.
- Frozen Spinach: Ensure it's thoroughly thawed and excess water is removed. Substitution: Fresh spinach can be sautéed until wilted and then used.
- Boursin Shallot & Chive: This cheese adds creaminess and flavor. Substitution: A mix of cream cheese with some chives can be an alternative.
- Jalapeno: Adds a mild spicy kick. Ensure it's deseeded unless you want extra heat. Substitution: Green bell pepper for milder flavor or serrano peppers for more heat.
- Lump Crab Meat: It is meatier and holds together well. Substitution: Imitation crab meat can be used, but the flavor won't be as rich.
- Parmesan Cheese: Adds a salty, umami flavor. Substitution: Romano or Asiago cheese can be used in place of Parmesan.
- Garlic: Fresh minced garlic gives the best flavor. Substitution: Garlic powder or store-bought minced garlic if in a pinch.
Cajun Butter Sauce:
- Note: This sauce is meant to complement the flavors, especially the Cajun seasoning. Adjust the spiciness according to your preference. Substitution: For a lighter version, you can use lemon butter sauce without the Cajun seasoning and paprika.
🔪 How to Make Crab and Shrimp Stuffed Salmon
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Keep aside.
Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil over the salmon fillets and rub them with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and Cajun seasoning on both sides. Then, make a deep cut in the center of each fillet, going about two-thirds deep, but not all the way. Set them aside.
Squeeze excess liquid out of the spinach and discard it. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the spinach with Boursin cheese, jalapeno, crab meat, parmesan cheese, and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Place the shrimp in a medium bowl. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle with Cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir well to coat. Set aside.
Fill the slits in the salmon fillets and the top with the crab mixture, then place the seasoned shrimp on top. Place them on the lined baking sheet and drizzle with the cajun butter.
Bake in the oven for about 15-17 minutes until the salmon is fully cooked and flakes easily with a fork.
Serve with lemon wedges.
- Choose Quality Salmon: Opt for fresh, wild-caught salmon without any spots or discoloration.
- Amp Up the Flavor: Don't hold back on seasonings. Sprinkle a good amount of Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper to elevate the salmon's taste.
- Cut with Care: To stuff the salmon neatly, use a sharp knife for precise and clean cuts, ensuring the filling stays intact.
What to Serve with Stuffed Salmon with Shrimp and Crab
Crab and shrimp stuffed salmon is a rich and flavorful dish, so pairing it with lighter, complementary sides can enhance the overall dining experience. Here are some suggestions:
- Steamed, grilled or Roasted Asparagus with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- Sautéed Green Beans with almonds or simply steamed.
- Creamy and flavorful Garlic Mashed Potatoes without being overpowering.
- Garlic Bread is perfect for those who love a flavorful carb to complement their meal.
🗄️ How to store Shrimp and Crab Stuffed Salmon
- Fridge Storage: Let the salmon cool, then pop it in an airtight container or sealable plastic bag. Store for up to 3 days.
- Freezer : Slide the salmon into a freezer bag. You can freeze it for a month. And good news - you can cook it straight out of the freezer!
- Reheating: Ready for round two? Warm up the salmon in a 350°F oven for about 10-12 minutes, or until it's warm all the way through.
❓ Baked Salmon FAQs
We've tried this stuffed salmon recipe using king and Atlantic salmon, and both were good. Just pick a thick salmon so you can stuff it easily. The middle part of the salmon is usually the best. Sockeye salmon is thinner but can still work.
The white stuff that appears on salmon when it's cooked is called albumin. It's a protein that pushes out of the salmon's muscles and coagulates on the surface as the fish cooks. While it might not look appealing, albumin is harmless and perfectly safe to eat.
While salmon provides a rich flavor that pairs well with the stuffing, you can also try using halibut or sea bass.
While Boursin adds a distinct flavor, you can substitute it with regular cream cheese. Consider adding some additional herbs for added flavor.
More Salmon Recipes
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.