Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is the most comforting chicken soup you’ve ever had! It is loaded with vegetables, homemade egg noodles and delicious chicken broth. Takes less than 40 minutes to make it from scratch. One pot soup that tastes incredible!
This healthy chicken noodle soup recipe is perfect for sick days! Homemade noodles and broth bring this soup on the next level, you will be craving it again and again! Who can resist a steamy bowl of comforting, low-calorie and flavorful soup? I can’t!
Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
This chicken noodle soup is very easy to make and ingredients are very simple and not expensive. You will need:
- Olive oil
- Medium onion
- Garlic cloves
- Carrots – You can use the frozen diced carrots. Make sure to thaw before cooking.
- Mushrooms- Brown mushrooms, Crimini, Portobello will work. Don’t worry, if you don’t have them on hand. The soup will taste incredible even without them.
- Celery rib
- Chicken fillet – Any chicken cut will work. Opt for thighs or legs, if you are on a thigh budget as they are inexpensive. For low calorie and healthy version, opt for chicken fillets.
- Chicken stock/ broth- Use homemade broth or store-bought one.
- Chicken bouillon cubes
- Spinach- I love to add it as it is loaded with tons of nutrients.
- Egg noodles- I usually make egg noodles. They taste so much better than the boxed ones in this soup. But even angel hair pasta or vermicelli will work.
- Black pepper
- Fresh dill leaves- Don’t like dill! Use parsley or leave it.
How to make chicken soup
Start to sauté onion, garlic, celery and carrots in olive oil. The combination of these aromatic ingredients will provide a flavor base for other ingredients to build upon. In Italian this mirepoix is known as Soffritto which means “fried slowly”.
The budget option for chicken is the whole chicken. Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the soup and cut off as much meat as you need for the soup. Use the rest in your pasta dishes or make Cream of Mushroom soup with chicken. Chicken Thighs and legs are also inexpensive and will give a strong taste. If your focus is a low calorie soup, go with chicken breast as I did.
Chicken Bouillon cubes are optional, but they help to intensify the soup flavor.
Homemade noodles make this soup even tastier. Best of all it takes only 10 minutes to make them from scratch. But any type of pasta will work for the soup.
Can I Freeze Chicken Noodle Soup?
This Chicken Noodle Soup freezes really well without egg noodles/ vermicelli. The frozen & thawed noodles tend to become mushy and ruin the soup. But you can always defrost the soup once you are ready to serve it and add the cooked noodles.
what bread goes with chicken noodle soup?
Nothing goes so well with this comforting and filling soup as Italian Focaccia bread.
love soup? try these!
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Turkish Lentil soup
- Celery Soup
If you make this Chicken Noodle Soup be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUPPrint
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
OTHER SOUP RECIPES