This Chicken Meatball recipe is super easy and outrageously good! Juicy, tender and full of flavor meatballs are baked and then tossed in a rich, creamy and cheesy sauce. These meatballs go so well with mashed potatoes, pasta or steamed rice. They are going to become your family favorite! Low-carb and gluten free!
Creamy sauce+ chicken is a great combination! However, meatballs are usually more flavorful because when you are grinding chicken, you add veggies like onion, garlic and then you season with black pepper and salt. Even if you plan to use chicken fillets (instead of chicken thighs), veggies will make meatballs juicy. The sauce is super easy and tasty enough to enjoy it on its own. Seriously, it brings these chicken meatballs on the next level. And best of all, it takes only 30 minutes to prepare the meatballs and sauce.
Ingredients for Chicken Meatballs in a Creamy & Cheesy Sauce
FOR THE MEATBALLS
- Chicken thighs/ fillets
- Garlic cloves
- Black pepper
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE SAUCE
- Heavy cream: The recipe calls for heavy cream, but even half & half can be used.
- Water: I prefer to use water instead of chicken stock. Most of stocks are very high in sodium. And believe me, salty stock and high sodium cheese like Cheddar will ruin the sauce. But you can substitute water for homemade chicken stock (if you didn’t add any salt to it). You will be able to control the saltiness.
- Cheddar cheese and Pepper Jack cheese: Use any hard cheese of your choice or combine them like I did (Cheddar, Parmesan, Gouda, Gruyère, Pecorino, Colby-Jack, Jack, Provolone, Emmental, Swizz cheese, Edam..) The options are countless.
- Dijon mustard: The recipe calls for Dijon mustard as it is creamier, spicier and contains less vinegar than regular American yellow mustard.
- Nutmeg: Nutmeg is essential to bechamel sauce and any creamy or buttery sauce.
- Rosemary springs: If you don’t like rosemary, substitute it for parsley, dill or cilantro.
How to Make Creamy Cheesy Chicken Meatballs
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 205 C.
- Grind chicken, onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, add egg, milk and mix well until well combined.
- Use a meat baller (traditionally used in Sweden for Swedish meatballs) or an ice-cream scoop to shape chicken mixture into balls. You can do it even with a spoon and shape further with your hands. Transfer meatballs to a cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 400 F/ 205 C until golden brown.
- In a small saucepan heat cream and water on medium heat.
- Stir in cheeses and cook until they melt, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add Dijon mustard and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and pour over the meatballs once they are baked.
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Mashed potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes
- Spinach Mashed Potatoes
- Homemade Pasta Recipe
- Instant Pot Jasmine Rice
More ground chicken recipes:
- Chicken Meatballs Soup with potatoes
- Chicken Keema Recipe
- Ground chicken meatballs
- Chicken Meatballs Soup
- Russian cutlets
If you make this Chicken Meatball Recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating! I will be happy to hear from you!
CHICKEN MEATBALL RECIPEPrint
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES