Zucchini Fritters – A Deliciously Sneaky Way to Make Your Meals Healthy.It is a perfect summer snack for the kids. They will be ready just in 30 minutes.
ZUCCHINI FRITTERS RECIPE
Zucchini fritters are the ultimate summer snack, offering you the chance to sink your teeth in light and crispy morsels that are packed with flavor. As they’re rich in zucchini, they also promise numerous health benefits, including reducing and maintaining healthy weight, promoting eye health, preventing diseases caused by vitamin C deficiency such as sclerosis, and even ensure the health of your cardiovascular system. And the best part? Your kids won’t know that they’re eating healthy because this zucchini fritters recipe tastes too good to be anything but plain sinful.
The Origins of Zucchini Fritters
According to food historians, fritters were a staple food for Ancient Roman. It was this civilization that had introduced the Europeans to fritters, prompting the creation of similar delicacies such as French beignets and Spanish frittatas. However, even during the Medieval times, fritters were sweet. Many believe that using meats and vegetables in making fritters is attributed to the Middle East. Crusaders had brought back their newfound vegetable fritters recipe to Europe before it made its ways to the Americas.
Now fritters may be considered casual finger food today, but they were once considered a delicacy served with cloth napkins and on white tablecloths. In fact, President Grover Cleveland served them to his prestigious guests on Thanksgiving in 1887. However, his recipe combined mashed boiled parsnips, flour, egg and salt. Therefore, they lacked the crunch people have grown accustomed to today.
How to Make Zucchini Fritters
Having a great zucchini fritters recipe in hand will pave the way to creating this snack. However, use the following tips to truly make a dish that your whole family will love and demand more of.
- Ensure that the Batter is Thick and Sticky – Most people make the mistake of letting zucchini swim in a watery batter. However, your fritters need to be able to stand on their own. After all, the zucchinis are the stars of zucchini fritters. So, ensure that the batter is thick enough to hold the vegetable’s (or fruit if you studied botany) pieces together in the pan.
- Always Cook the Fritters like You Would Grilled Cheese – Your pancake-flipping skills can come in handy while frying as they’ll ensure that the fritters remain in place. Flip the fritters the minute they’re crusty even if they’re not completely golden brown. Make sure to press them with a spatula once you’ve flipped them. You can constantly flip the zucchini fritters until they reach the level of crispiness you desire.
- Use a Cast Iron Skillet – Cast iron skillets and other heavy-bottomed pans will help you cook the perfect fritters. Just remember to coat the bottom with sufficient oil and replenish it once you’re done with a batch.
Choose the Right Oil – There are a variety of oils available, but not all of them will be suitable for frying vegetable fritters. The best oil is one that can withstand high temperatures. Other oils are bound to burn or become acidic, ruining your snack altogether. Aside from selecting the right oil, you’ll need to maintain its temperature at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. You can check using a cooking thermometer; just don’t let it touch the bottom or sides of the pan or else you’ll get an inaccurate reading.
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI FRITTERSPrint
ZUCCHINI FRITTERS RECIPE
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Italian Zucchini- 1 kg ( about 2 large)
- Large eggs- 2 ( slightly beaten)
- Cornstarch- 7-8 tbsp
- Onion- 1 ( finely chopped)
- Parmesan Cheese- 4 tbsp
- Baking powder- ½ tsp
- Black pepper- ¼ tsp
- Vegetable olive oil- as needed (for frying)
- Wash Zucchini a few times & trim the ends. Take a large bowl and line it with a thin kitchen cloth or cheesecloth.
- Grate the zucchini into the bowl. (Use the large blades of the grater).
- Add salt and leave for 5-10 minutes. It will help to release the moisture.
- Squeeze all the liquid with your hands. After that wrap the grated zucchini in cheesecloth and squeeze as much liquid as you can.
- Now transfer the zucchini into a large bowl. Add Parmesan cheese, eggs,cornstarch, black pepper and the chopped onion. Mix well with your hands.
- In a non-stick pan heat some vegetable oil until a small cube of bread , dropped in the oil, sizzles immediately.
- Using a spoon, add zucchini fritters to the pan, fry 2-3 minutes per side. You may need to add more oil.
- Line a large plate with a kitchen towel.
- When Zucchini fritters are ready, transfer them onto the plate.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Vegan recipes
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: per serving
- Calories: 38
- Sugar: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 105 mg
- Fat: 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0
- Carbohydrates: 3.9 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 93 mg
Keywords: zucchini fritters, zucchini patties, zucchini recipe, vegan recipes
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
Leave a Reply