This Shrimp risotto is an exquisite, restaurant-worthy dish. It is exceptionally flavorful and every bite introduces a combination of different flavors.
If you’re in a rush, you’ve got guests coming over, but you need something nutritious and wholesome at the same time, Shrimp Risotto will come to the rescue. And kids love it too. What’s fab about it, the ingredients are usually what one has on hand; ideal for making at the last minute - but where people still ask for seconds.
Arborio rice is fabulous for using for shrimp risotto. If you like your risotto a bit more al dente, then you just add less liquid. Some people like it a bit creamier, so just add more liquids. After sautéing your onion, add in all your favorite spices like bay leaves, dried parsley, sliced red chili, some garlic cloves, black peppercorns – it’s your call.
After adding the rice to the pan, hold back on the water for a while to allow the rice to first get coated in the delicious vegetable oil or butter. It gives it a rich nutty flavor. Then you can keep on adding boiling water or even chicken stock to the pan. Always constantly and gently stir; that’s a good trick with risotto. Add the shrimps to the flavorsome chopped garlic that you fried in butter beforehand. You will later add this to the cooked rice mixture. Shrimps cook beautifully in the rice, so just be careful not to overcook.
Generally, the taste of the risotto is better when the shrimps are cut up into smaller pieces. But if you’re having guests, it looks stunning when served with whole shrimps. Time to serve. Full of flavor! Fun times, laughter, celebrations, Shrimp Risotto fits in perfectly for all occasions. Packed with vitamins, it still offers plenty of health, nutrition and well-being. Divertiti!
- Medium shrimp, peeled and deveined- 1 kg
- Butter- 2 tbsp.
- Arborio rice or any Italian risotto rice- 2 cups
- Vegetable oil- 5 tbsp.
- Onion ( finely chopped)- 1
- Garlic cloves ( finely chopped & )-2 tsp,divided
- Dry parsley- 1 ½ tbsp.
- Boiling water -5 ½ cup
- Bay leaf- 2
- Black peppercorns - 10
- Red chili ( sliced) - to taste
- Salt -to taste
- Bring 5 ½ cups of water to a boil near the place where you will cook risotto.
- In a 25 cm casserole heat 5 tbsp. of vegetable oil, add the chopped onion and fry until it becomes translucent, then add in 1 tbsp. of the chopped garlic, black peppercorns, bay leaves and red chili. Continue cooking another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the risotto rice and keep stirring until the grains are well coated.
- Pour in ½ cup of simmering water and cook the rice, stirring constantly with a long wooden spoon, until all the liquid is evaporated. When there is no more liquid in the casserole, add another ½ cup and continue to stir. Keep repeating.
- In the meantime,melt 2 tbsp. of butter in a medium pan, add another 1 tbsp. of garlic and fry until fragrant but not browned,then add the shrimp and cook 3-4 minutes or until done. Transfer the cooked shrimp to a plate, and pour the reserved liquid into the casserole with risotto rice.
- Begin to taste the risotto after 20 minutes of cooking. It is done when it is tender, but firm to the bite. Gradually reduce the amount of liquid you add, the cooked risotto is slightly moist, but not runny.
- When the risotto is almost cooked, add the shrimp and cook another 1-2 minutes.Remove from the heat.
- Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.
Water is the best choice for seafood risotto. The quantity of liquid I use in the recipe
is approximate. You might need to use more, or sometimes less, depends on the type of risotto rice.
If you prefer exceptionally firm grains in risotto, then cook 18- 20 minutes. You can increase the cooking time to 25-30 minutes for more tender grains.But never cook risotto grains until they are soft at the center. They should be tender, but still firm to the bite.
BEST RISOTTO RICE
Arborio, Vialone Nano, and Carnaroli.
- Category: Seafood
- Cuisine: Italian
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images & content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation & hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
SHRIMP RISOTTO FROM SCRATCH
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Leave a Reply