Buffalo chicken wings are an American favorite mouth-watering appetizer! If you are a serious connoisseur of wings, you must try this recipe. The best wings ever!Are you a chicken-wing lover? You definitely know that all wings are delicious no matter the method of preparation used. But one recipe-buffalo chicken wings outshines the rest in terms of results. Why call this recipe ‘buffalo’ chicken wings?
These spicy wings were invented in 1964 by Frank Bellissimo and her wife Teressa at their Anchor bar in Buffalo, New York hence the name Buffalo wings. The recipe has evolved since its launch and there are many versions using varying ingredients and different methods, to deliver wings of varying taste. If you want to have a taste like no other, you must get the original recipe.
This was my case, when I first heard of the Buffalo chicken wings one thing came into my mind, getting the authentic recipe because I had tried many recipes but never got the desired tasteful wings. It was not an easy task considering that the original recipe was invented many years ago and the world of cooking has changed significantly. After days of research, I got the result I wanted and am now ready to share the saucy secrets of the original buffalo chicken wings.
Secrets of authentic buffalo chicken wings
It’s good I let you know the things that make the buffalo chicken wing unique. One of the most important aspects of these wings is the skin, classic buffalo chicken wings should have a crispy, fried skin. If you have never achieved this in your cooking it’s simply because you bake the wings in the oven. The truly authentic Buffalo wings are deep fried, then, any excess oil is drained to make them extra crispy. Caution must be taken when draining the oil, do it on a metallic cooling rack set over a sheet for the best results.
The other key to original buffalo chicken wings is its signature sauce. Many people think that you must use many ingredients to achieve a spicy sauce, but that is not the case. Keep everything simple, I personally ordered the authentic anchor bar chicken wings sauce online and my combination was perfectly delicious. Alternatively, buy the original Franks RedHot sauce and mix with margarine to make a tasteful and tangy sauce.
Since they entered the food lore, these wings have become a staple across the country. If you are craving a meal of authentic Buffalo wings, you do not have to visit a wing joint to enjoy them. Let me give you the tips to make these delicious wings in your home kitchen without any hustle. If you have friends or a party and want to surprise them with plates of Buffalo wings, rest all your worries. The recipe will not disappoint, I have tried it severally and I can assure of impressive results.
The buffalo chicken wings are easy to make at home, I have described the whole process in easy steps. This version of Buffalo wings recipe is a representation of the authentic one in a clear and very concise way. Follow the following steps and you will not get enough of these delicious wings.
HOW TO MAKE BUFFALO CHICKEN WINGSPrint
BUFFALO CHICKEN WINGS
- FOR WINGS
- Chicken wings ( separated at joints & tips removed)- 1 kg or 2.2 lb
- All purpose flour- ¾ cup
- Chicken masala/ spice mix- 2 tbsp
- Salt-to taste
- Vegetable oil ( for deep frying)- 2 cups
- FOR BUFFALO CHICKEN WINGS SAUCE
- RedHot buffalo chicken wings sauce ( I used Ken's buffalo wings sauce)- ½ cup
- Unsalted butter- 1/ 4 cup
- Maple Medium syrup- ¼ cup
- FOR SERVING
- Bleu Cheese Dressing*
- In a small bowl mix together the flour, the chicken masala and salt.
- Place the chicken wings in a large bowl and apply the flour-mixture over them until they are evenly coated. Cover with plastic & refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet heat vegetable oil. Fry the coated wings in hot oil 15 minutes or until golden. You may need to fry them in batches. Remove the wings from the heat and place on the wire rack.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter. Add the Redhot sauce & mapple syrup. Cook until mixture is well-blended.
- Place the wings into the bowl. Pour the hot sauce over them & stir together.
- Serve with bleu cheese dressing for dipping and celery sticks ( optional).
* Blue cheese dressing
Light Mayonnaise- ½ cup
Sour cream- ½ cup
Almond milk- 2 tsp
Worcestershire sauce- 1 tsp
Blue cheese crumbles-¾ cup
Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and serve.
- Category: Chicken recipes/Meat
- Cuisine: American
Enjoy these juicy and delicious chicken buffalo wings!
Leave a Reply