These oven baked Potato Wedges are potato perfection.Crispy, flavorful, seasoned with Italian Pecorino cheese, spices & garlic. Roasted till perfectly crisp. You’ll never want frozen fries again!There are few sides that complete a meal like the humble potato wedge. Crispy and flavorful on the outside, and warm, soft and substantial on the inside, potato wedges are enjoyed around the world. But, the reality is that there are good potato wedges and bad potato wedges in the world. The soggier, more tasteless varieties come from under-cooked, under seasoned potatoes. The good news is that delicious wedges are easy to make at home if you know how.
HOW TO CHOP THE POTATO WEDGES
When it comes to slicing the potatoes into wedges, a simple technique is the answer to your questions! Slice a potato in half, then into quarters and finally into eighths. Following this technique will ensure that the potato wedges cook at the same speed and end up delicious and evenly roasted. As with any slicing, make sure that you’re using a really sharp knife that will make a clean cut. Chefs recommend that you leave the skin on the potato because it holds a lovely flavor and helps each wedge to keep its shape.
Pop the baking sheet or casserole dish in the oven while you’re still prepping the potatoes to get them to roast.You want them to be evenly crisped on both sides.
The more saturated the fat, the crispier the potatoes. While olive oil is delicious,( actually I used it) it won’t result in a very crispy potato wedge. Opt for a generous helping of heart-friendly coconut oil, butter or chicken fat to get a perfect texture.
You can serve wedges with any main meal. Opt for delicious gourmet burgers or chicken flatties cooked on the grill. Add some other vegetables to the mix for a nutritious, tasty meal.
HOW TO MAKE POTATO WEDGES
- Russet potatoes ( rinsed)- 5 medium
- Olive oil- 4 tbsp
- Pecorino Romano cheese, grated*- ¼ cup ,plus 2 tbsp for sprinkling
- Garlic cloves ( minced)- 4-5
- Italian spice mix ( dry rosemary, thyme, salt) - 1 tbsp
- Paprika- 1 tsp
- Black pepper- 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- For garnish
- Freshly chopped parsley- 1 tbsp
- Preheat your oven to 200 C or 400 F with the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Put the potatoes on the chopping board & cut each potato into 8 wedges: first, cut each potato in half lengthwise, then cut each half in half lengthwise , and then cut each half in half lengthwise. If they cut evenly, they are gonna be cooked evenly.
- Place a large lined with parchment paper (foil) baking tray into the oven to get extremely hot.*
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients except potatoes. Mix well. Now you can transfer the marinade into a large zip lock bag , add the potatoes and toss well or just put the potatoes into the bowl with spices and mix well with your hands to coat. Set aside for 10 minutes to absorb all the flavors.
- Roast potatoes 20 minutes in the oven at 200 C or 400 F, turn them after 20 minutes & increase the temperature to 220 C / 430 F. Roast another 10 minutes that both sides get crispy golden brown.
- Serve with ketchup, tomato chatney or garlic sauce.
* The potatoes won't stick & will be crispy
Best homemade potato wedges!